4 Small Asian Celadon Bowls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, May 12, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_4405.JPG IMG_4406.JPG IMG_4399.JPG IMG_4398.JPG IMG_4402.JPG Wonder why they were fired upside down when the foot rims are not glazed.
    I am thinking Chinese or Japanese and not old?

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had several old Japanese heavy bowls for bonsai trees that were fired upside down. I thought perhaps to keep the sides straight since they were so heavy they might have slumped. They were rectangles not round.
    greg

3. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Maybe not have been from being fired upside down. Those could be stilt marks from bowls being stacked in the kiln.
    [​IMG]

cxgirl, gregsglass and CheersDears like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, they were stacked. The stilts are often called prongs, used a lot in Korea. Sorry, don't know much about Korean celadon, but they made a lot of it, and it is related to Chinese Song style.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted