Featured $5.99 Chinese Thrift Store Vase Sells for $5 MILLION

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Dec 2, 2016.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I can dream, right? The only part of the title that is true is the price I paid at a thrift store. So, now that you are hear reading this, what do you think about it? It looks hand coiled?? No markings. Chinese or Japanese? As always, THANKS for any info!

ching.vase1.jpg ching.vase10.jpg ching.vase2.jpg ching.vase7.jpg ching.vase3.jpg ching.vase5.jpg

Tin, pearlsnblume, tyeldom3 and 2 others like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Wow! Knock-your-socks-off, eye-popping colors! I've never seen that shade of orange on Japanese/Chinese porcelain.

I think you mean hand turned or wheel thrown, not coiled. But also, the person who does the "trimmer" job can make pottery from a mold have that "spun" look, by using a wet sponge or rag to remove the mold marks, by spinning the fresh from the mold piece on a potters wheel. I did that job after school and on week-ends all first semester of freshman year, long, long ago in the 70s.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    tyeldom3 and KingofThings like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'd say Geisha girl - so Japanese.

Adding:
    I keep thinking there is a famous painting that looks like her.

tyeldom3 and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Yeah but that was Lira right?
    So you LOST money. ;)
    ~
    I like it because I like bright colors. Most such things are muted.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Hold on to that dream!

6. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Japanese. Could be early 20th. Or maybe later?

7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I'm no expert but these kinds of similar vases are probably still being made. The colours are so neon that I'd assume it's late 1980s.

It's beautiful though, in its crass brightness.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

This is just my impression but I seem to find that bright yellow with a black rim on pre-WWII pieces. It really rather will done for its type - not sloppy at all. Well worth the $5.99. I suspect, though, that if it was worth $5 million you wouldn't have found it in a Chinese thrift shop. It's been my experience that they usually recognize their own antiques!
    Don

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I keep thinking she is supposed to represent someone.

Maybe Madame Butterfly.

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

You crack me up. :hilarious: Keep dreaming. One of these days you'll find someone's dog drinking out of a Ming Dynasty bowl and get it for $1 and it'll be worth millions.

11. vitry-le-francois

Bev,

If I fill it with water and have my dog drink out of it, will that help?

12. vitry-le-francois

Don,

Found it at an American thrift shop. Not Chinese, lol.

lauragarnet, dgbjwc and KingofThings like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those colors are making me think this is recent. It's a better quality than normally turns up in import shops here, but it's not an old one. It'll do to hold a supermarket bouquet for certain.

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was waiting for AF to say it was made by some blokes in a shed in Chelsea or something

dgbjwc and lauragarnet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted