51 pc Westmorland Silver - "George & Martha" Pattern

Discussion in 'Sell' started by StumptownJoe, Apr 21, 2020.

1. StumptownJoe

StumptownJoe Active Member

Hi all!

I'm ready to part with grandma's Westmorland silver flatware. The 51 pieces includes 8 place settings (Dinner fork, salad fork, teaspoon, dinner knife) as well as 8 paddle-style butter spreaders, 8 cocktail/oyster forks, one serving spoon, a gravy ladle, and one lonely demitasse spoon for good measure. :)

Quality is overall quite good. I am NOT an expert at grading silver. All pieces have been stored safely in a silver case (see pics). They all seem bright and in very good condition, aside from very small nicks from regular use. (Though they have not been in use for decades)

PLEASE NOTE: The photo shows the 51 piece set in a box along with some other one-off pieces. This listing is ONLY for the 51 pieces listed here. Please see the attached image for a breakdown of available pieces. I will update with better/more specific photos this evening (4/21).

ASKING: $1,200 OBO
    (Storage chest included)

Q: What if I only want certain pieces?
    A: For the right price, I would be willing to split up the set.

Please don't hesitate to message me with any questions or if you would like any specific photos or info. As i said, I am not an expert - I am happy to engage in discussions about the pieces, their value, and their condition.

I hope you are all SAFE and HEALTHY and HAPPY!

Positivity and good humor to all!

Joe IMG_1772 (2) (1).jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 3.30.27 PM.png

2. Oldlampguy

Oldlampguy New Member

3. Oldlampguy

Oldlampguy New Member

Realistically, you should determine total weight of the solid sterling silver. The value in the set is probably not much higher than the value of the silver.
    If the set is plated and not sterling it would have little value.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the cleaning instructions seem to state that the set is sterling..

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

All Westmorland flatware is sterling, and they only offered five patterns - it was manufactured by Wallace and sold door-to-door/direct sales...

~Cheryl

Figtree3, Bakersgma, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  6. StumptownJoe

The set is entirely sterling with the exception of stainless blades on the dinner knives. Based on a little (very little) research, this pattern is doing quite well on resale and auction sites. Beyond melt value I’m fairly certain.

7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Round here it rarely meets melt at auction. Your set would be $400-600 locally here.

8. StumptownJoe

Plenty of pieces in this pattern have sold in the recent past on *that* auction site. ;-) I know enough not to take live listings as gospel, but it's hard to argue with completed sales. Just thought I would post here before going that route. Thanks for all the input!

Draft saved Draft deleted