Featured 830S silver ladle - Norway? Somewhere else?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SBSVC, Feb 4, 2020.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned many times, I have a lot of silver, and it's been all neatly packed away since DH & I moved to NH a few years back. Out of sight, out of mind, and all that...

Today, as I was going thru my lingerie chest, I found this ladle in one of the drawers. Heaven knows when/why I put it there, but since I have unearthed it, I figured I might as well ask about it...

It's 6" long, with a monogram, dated on the back 14-5-21 (May 14, 1921) and marked 830S, with no other marks. Any thoughts?

silver ladle 1.JPG silver ladle 2.JPG silver ladle 5.JPG silver ladle 4.JPG silver ladle 3.JPG

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow that is really interesting and very pretty, not sure why this silver ladle isn't worth more than the list price on ebay though, perhaps they are selling it for scrap value?

SBSVC likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very close, if not exactly the same.

Based on Cheryl's commentary on Norwegian designs, I would not ascribe yours to Magnus Aase just because that listing did. I have seen her rattle off a long list of makers who had produced the same design as something shown here on occasion. But I bet she knows the pattern name!

antidiem, anundverkaufen and SBSVC like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bakers, it turns out that there's an eBay SOLD listing that says Magnus Aase Albert Carlsen for another that's similar...

I guess I can at least say it's Norwegian!

antidiem and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes you can and yes you should. :)

The Norwegian mark designating a design as the equivalent to our "patented" is the letters NM (Norsk monster) and I didn't see that on the Aase ladle, so other makers would have been totally free to use that design without having to license it. And for that matter it could just be a traditional design that anyone could use.

antidiem and SBSVC like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bakers, I sort of thought that, too. I think I must have bought it years ago, just because it was so pretty!

antidiem likes this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The same pattern was made by many makers

Norwegian silver seems to have hit a dead end lately. The USPS rate hikes likely have something to do with it as most is going to Europe.

antidiem likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The pattern is 'Flat Rose', it was based on a traditional 19th century Norwegian pattern, and somewhere around 1900, the Theodor Olsen shop started producing it as a die-stamped, rather than engraved, line pattern, it was most often made by Th. Olsens Eftf., with Brodrene Lohne another prolific maker of the pattern, and it was made and/or retailed by others as well. If I recall the history correctly, the conjoined 'MA/crown-over-seven-dots' mark that is usually attributed to Magnus Aase became Th. Olsens' mark in 1903/04, when Aase and his brother bought the shop, operating it as Th. Olsens Eftf., and Magnus Aase continued as a retailer, using the marks, 'M.AA' and 'M.AASE', Aase closed down in the '90s, but unless something's changed in the last few years, Olsens is still in business.

I like the hook - so practical...

~Cheryl

10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Cheryl!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted