Featured 900 Silver Garnet Ring Question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marie Forjan, May 4, 2020.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi All, I got this garnet ring in a lot and I was hoping someone may know where and when it is from. The stones are garnets and the mark is very hard to photograph. On the left is an "A" - capital sans serif, next is "900" in a rectangle and on the right is "ARTIA" - capital sans serif.

I Googled and found some vague references to Artia and Czechoslovakia but nothing concrete.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful!

GarnetRingFt.jpg GarnetRingSide.jpg GarnetRingMark.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Could it say Austria? I can’t see it very well, but maybe?

pearlsnblume, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :)

pearlsnblume, KSW and i need help like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artia_(publisher)

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it's fabulous and it's my birthstone too!

6. antidiem

The garnets appear to be very high quality. I believe these to be Madagascan garnets, which reflect as RED rather than amber or brown.

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Since the piece has pyrope/Bohemian garnet and made in what is now the Czech Republic,I doubt they came from Africa.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Nope, definitely Artia. I know the photo stinks but with a loupe that is what it says :)

i need help likes this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Well, heck, no wonder I couldn’t find anything about them when searching for silver and garnet jewelry. Who know a publisher exported periodicals, music, records, gramophones, works of art, postage stamps, coins, teaching aids, antiquities, Bohemian garnets, cartographic products, silver costume jewellery, folk art, and ... musical instruments.

Thank you Holly!

10. Marie Forjan

Yep, garnet is my birth stone too ;)

i need help likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. Bohemia is probably the most famous pyrope garnet region in the world, they have no reason to import from Madagascar or anywhere else. And I doubt they would have been able to during the Cold War era. The only pyropes they could import were Russian ones, but why would they.

As an aside, more recently the garnets in jewellery sold in souvenir shops in Czechoslovakia/Czechia were often glass, and still are.
    So if you visit Czechia, only buy from quality shops which give a guarantee.

i need help likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Even old garnet jewellery can have a few glass stones in it. Jablonec did that too. ;) Those look spot on for Bohemia.

i need help likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I also have antique Austro-Hungarian jewellery with glass turquoises among the real ones as well as the occasional garnet glass among the garnets. Sometimes replacements, but also made that way originally. In those cases colour symbolism was more important than genuine stones. They just used what they could find in the red or blue box.:playful:

i need help and Ownedbybear like this.
  14. antidiem

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted