Featured 925 sterling silver big floral ring purple glass

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by billyd3us, Nov 4, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

This ring feels really heavy, it is marked 925 and that's it, seems to be made very well, I don't know if the purple is glass or an actual gemstone.
    Any ideas on maker, age, stones etc ?

Thank You

Billy D. 232.JPG 234.JPG 233.JPG

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Maybe something called "bridge jewelry"

Attractive, nicely designed without precious stones - affordable.

Bridge jewelry is called that because it is the bridge between Fine jewelry and Costume jewelry. It may use vermeil, gold filled or silver as the metal and uses semi precious stones such as amethyst, citrine, turquoise, jade, topaz, fresh water pearls, garnet and others.

? Just guessing. It's nice!

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Interesting ring Billy. It could be amethyst, it could be glass. No one can tell from a photo, look carefull at the stones, do you see bubbles? If so they are glass, if not you need to take it to someone for testing.

4. scoutshouse

I'm not saying it's junk! Some bridge jewelry is $$$ A lot of great studio jewelry designers create their own production lines. Designers like Judith Ripka, John Hardy, Robert Lee Morris - very desirable. These pieces just didn't come out of their studio.

We had a few clients who had amassed a lot of it over QVC. I'd never heard of it, but it's definitely something to look out for. Shoppers are actively looking for specific designs from their favorite designers that they missed out on.

A lot of it has Moorish or Ottoman elements.

Screenshot 2018-11-04 19.36.32.png

Screenshot 2018-11-04 19.39.49.png

Robert Lee Morris has kind of Southwestern/Naturalist elements

Screenshot 2018-11-04 19.45.01.png Screenshot 2018-11-04 19.45.27.png

Sorry if that's overkill, but I really made my boss a LOT of money once I figured out what it was - and realized there were a lot of retirees who had shopped the heck out of it. That is all jewelry we sold.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is a new term for me, thank you for posting it.:bookworm:

6. scoutshouse

Many of those I've come across were well known in the 80s and worked with designers like Donna Karan and Karl Lagerfeld to create runway/statement jewelry.

Here's an article on Robert lee morris in the Adventurine

He never stopped producing jewelry for his studio/shop, so there can be even more interest in earlier signed pieces. The bangles above had his old mark on them.

Took me awhile to figure it out. One client had a number of his pcs - i found the last in a kitchen drawer, an 18k + diamond bracelet in the style below, still in the box!
    [​IMG]
    So I learned that designer lines can run the full gamut in price point, just like Banana Republic clothes or Coach bags.

I wish there was a QVC/HSN academy - I've never shopped it - I'm sure the average shopper can date and identify a lot of stuff that poured through there!

Michael Dawkins, Nicky Butler, Goldstone jewelry are a few others I can recall coming across.

Figtree3, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I just learned something new today. Bridge jewelry. Who knew?

8. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

OMG ! So many great replies here. This site ROCKS ! For sure. Thank you all for your replies, it sure does mean a lot to me. Have a great week

Draft saved Draft deleted