Featured 950 Pitcher

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 14, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

F4E9937A-B874-4D38-BF9D-7E3472CDFE60.jpeg E808B1C6-3ECC-4C82-B1BE-BE095BB566C0.jpeg 0FEEBC5D-8D2A-496C-8FCB-9A2A650F22DF.jpeg E89139AE-1242-48AD-B35F-54466E6685DA.jpeg Any suggestions where this may have been made?
    Thanks

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be Mexican, probably pre-1950.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It can't be Sterling and 950.

Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% by weight of silver and 7.5% by weight of other metals, usually copper. The sterling silver standard has a minimum millesimal fineness of 925.

950 contains more pure silver and less alloy of 925 so cannot be Sterling.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but that is the way many countries used to mark 950 silver.
    To many people sterling implies quality, without realising 950 has a higher silver content.:rolleyes:

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Typical Post WWII Japanese, intended for the American market - as a quick note, most countries specify their sterling standard as 'at least' .925 fineness (had this piece been imported to and assayed in the U.K., it would have been hallmarked as 'sterling').

~Cheryl

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

But with any luck, we find those in thrifts sold as plated because the marks are "wrong".(LOL)

7. kardinalisimo

793190C9-ED95-4478-BC46-E002F5E4A028.jpeg While on the subject, I saw a nice looking coffee pot in a thrift store a week ago. First impression was that it was sterling but flipped it and it was marked Japand and EP in a diamond. I assumed EP for electroplated. I did a quick search on the spot and found online identical one marked Sterling and no EP. I got suspicious that they made the same piece in plate and solid silver and debated for a minute. Ended up leaving it in the store. I can’t even remember which one :(
    Now, when a researched a bit about this pitcher, I saw that some Japanese pieces are marked EP in diamond, sterling and 950. Some people suggests that EP is makers mark. But if so, is it possible the pot to have been sterling and not marked as such?

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Some silver makers made sterling pieces as well as matching pieces in EPNS. An old friend of mine had a wonderful silver tea set all marked as sterling except for a matching creamer which was identical except in weight it was marked EPNS.
    greg

9. kardinalisimo

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cheryl, I think it would have been marked as Britannia standard silver here - that's 950.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

A gorgeous pitcher!! I'd love it!

Draft saved Draft deleted