Featured A Clock I Rather Like

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kentworld, Oct 18, 2014.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd say the estimate is a bit low. I also suspect it is Buren not Burer. As always the movement tells as much about it as the front does.

My thought would be more like $500, but it would depend on the clock market in your area and if you wanted to keep it or make a modest profit on it.

Buren is a Swiss company but Swiss or French makes little difference in the border areas where the main clockmakers were.

I'd call it a boudoir clock even if it is a little large for that.

The sides and back panel should be in similar style. Anything where gilt bronze is used instead of the much cheaper spelter was a high priced item when new.

Without further information I'd say late 19th C. but if it strikes on a bell I'd push the date back a couple of decades.

3. kentworld

Thanks, AF. I'm busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger at the moment, but if I have a chance to take a gander at it, I will. I think $500 is much more realistic, but one never knows, does one? ;)

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I like that clock!

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

That clock is gorgeous. I hope oneday I will be lucky enough to find something so grand, but within my price range. :p

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very pretty clock!

7. kentworld

There were a few clocks in the auction catalogue, but this was the prettiest, and I like porcelain with some good hand-painting.

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Just find a very LARGE boudoir.

spirit-of-shiloh and kentworld like this.
  9. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

"Buren is a Swiss company but Swiss or French makes little difference in the border areas where the main clockmakers were. "
    Büren is a village in the German speaking part of Switzerland and got nuttin to do with the French. the name of the town was crippled to Buren by the one time English ownership (before they rode Buren Watch Company into the ground) and it was re-founded under Swiss leadership etc.

kentworld likes this.
  10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I know Buren was British owned in the early 20th C, and that this is much later than the clock in question, just wondering in the original reply if there was an earlier incarnation of Buren.

Draft saved Draft deleted