Featured A Couple of Tables

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by cxgirl, Mar 24, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you James, someone is always watching, is it kind of scary.
    I know on Facebook I continually see ads of items I've looked at on Ebay.
    @Jeff Drum hoping you will post photos of your other table

kyratango, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

@cxgirl . Set your virus checker to disable and delete tracking cookies. That fixes that.

kyratango, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is a little scary, was watching hearings couple weeks ago with execs of cell phone providers in US House of Representatives and a congressman asked
    "So even if a consumer turns OFF their location in preferences on your device, you still track the location of that user?"
    Yes, said the exec
    "why is that?"
    Because the device would not work without it, exec replied and went on to explain cell towers hand off users from one tower to the next depending on user location.
    Bottom line? It's still the wild WILD WEST in the information age and anyone who thinks they are anonymous is living in a fantasy world.
    Regulations are coming to address privacy issues but that takes time.

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

I spent almost four decades in IT. You can anonymise easily enough. That explanation isn't totally accurate either: the masts use an HLR generated by the phone and that's neither location nor GPS dependent. But then, execs are often not exactly techie and sometimes say what they think people want to hear.

Mind you, we've better regulation on privacy in Europe than the US. You need GDPR.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And don't use google as a search engine unless you have to. I use Startpage, which has an EU certificate. On top of that you can adjust your privacy settings of course, just like in other search engines. I also use VPN.
    You are never completely safe, of course, but being and acting safety conscious, and not using your own photo as an avatar picture;) helps.

kyratango, komokwa and Ownedbybear like this.
  6. James Conrad

7. Any Jewelry

8. James Conrad

EARTH TO WHOEVER: The NSA here in the USA captures ALL worldwide communications on planet earth, this includes phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. in sum, ALL! That's 100% kidz, for those that can count.
    If anyone thinks the NSA cares the least bit about what some bureaucrat in Brussels says or thinks or regs they pass, I got a bridge here for sale i am selling CHEAP! :hilarious:

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

You really don't seem to want to understand what anyone else is saying, and being very condescending in the process. Obviously no one said anything about the NSA or other security services, and you know that full well, James. You just want to be condescending and make others look clueless by twisting the conversation in another direction.
    To quote a certain member:

10. James Conrad

AJ, the point is, if the US govt is collecting on that scale, it's REASONABLE to assume that those that are providing the services, platforms, etc are collecting as well. The individual device owner DOES NOT control this information through whatever device they are using, simple as that.

komokwa likes this.
  11. James Conrad

That isn't rude, that's REALITY which some refuse to recognize. I get that but i do not have to go along with the fantasies, i can have my own opinion if that's OK? :singing:

12. Ownedbybear

GDPR is actually UK law. And of course, our own GCHQ snarfs everything in sight.

As AJ says, though, this isn't what is being discussed. And I agree with her sentiments.

If it weren't, however, possible to hide stuff from those providing platforms, then cyber crime would be impossible as would the dark web and anonymous relays. All of which work rather well.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Opinions do not have to be expressed as rudeness. And I suspect that my background means that I do actually know a fair bit about the reality of the web. Given I sent my first email in 1979.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yet another thread run off the rails....
    :woot:

15. James Conrad

Oh Boy!

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Anyone see the last episode of Antique Roadshow? (She asks, in trying to change the subject)

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  17. James Conrad

LOL, Look, I have no problem with folks who believe they have "control" over the info they send out over the internet. I disagree, i say an individual user does not have control over that info. What's the problem here? :confused:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What ?
    it happens here a lot.......it's not good or bad.....it just is !

19. James Conrad

I guess.
    Oh Boy = did it ever!

komokwa likes this.
  20. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back in the 18th century.......

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted