Featured A Crime Against Numismatic Heritage

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joe2007, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I don't like it either and get quite suspicious when I see precious metal coins all of the same date. :bag:

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not sure there's much purpose in crying over spilt milk, these Hawaiian coin belts, bracelets, etc. (believe the coins were only produced in silver for circulation with the 1883 date) were almost certainly made over a century ago - all sorts of coins, in any number of countries, were used for various items when they had little age (though sometimes ancient coins were used), most weren't thinking of their future collectible value...

~Cheryl

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Years ago, there was a coin collector who would now and then drop a rare coin back into circulation.

I remember thinking about that when epoxied-penny-floors were all the rage. :jawdrop:

temp01.jpg

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wanted a penny floor so badly !

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A local guy has a penny CAR. It's only pulled out for parades and the like. Curiosity Inc in Edmonton just put in a penny counter. I don't think Canadian use pennies any more, so might as well get some use out of them.

7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Somebody in my Weird Finds group on Facebook got a free 1973 pennies toilet seat at the end of a sale. She almost fell over when I posted an ebay link where they were selling for hundreds of dollars.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. I think coin jewellery is about as old as the use of coins, and certainly older than coin collecting.

In some cultures coin jewellery and coin belts are a sign of allegiance to the king or queen, in others a sign of wealth or an investment.
    During WWII and just after there was an hausse in Dutch coin jewellery here in the Netherlands, as a sign of national pride.

The most impressive coin belt I ever saw was on a local Gypsy. It was a thick leather belt with a width of about 25 cm/9.84", covered entirely with overlapping rows of big antique gold coins. No doubt a family heirloom, maybe it was most of the extended family's gold.
    He was playing billiards in a village café.:hilarious:

Bronwen, Xristina, BMRT and 4 others like this.
  9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Discussion of this listing on a coin forum.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1024337/any-meat-left-on-the-bone-if-this-were-broken-apart

Thought you would find the economics of determining the current numismatic value interesting. I was a bit sensationalist/inflamatory in my tone in the topic title and opening post because I was trying to make a point that it may be unwise in some instances to make jewelry out of antique coins. However in many instances I don't see a problem with the practice, just make sure you do your research first and maybe get a second opinion from someone with niche knowledge of coins.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Jivvy

Trust me, jewelry people already understand what it is to destroy one thing to create another. Today's crafters buy up vintage jewelry by the bucketload and their intentions are not honorable.

It doesn't particularly bother me, but I am in the minority.

11. Any Jewelry

And they make the most disgusting combinations sometimes. I won an antique Pakistani enameled silver pendant that no one wanted because some crafter put it on a necklace of the cheapest new African recycled glass beads. After all, ethnic jewellery is all the same, isn't it.:rolleyes:
    But the pendant has been rescued.:)

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I'm about to commit some form of Numismatic crime myself :cool:

The coin cabinet I bought 2 weeks ago for restoration, has 4 drawer knobs missing and 2 broken and glued on.

When I saw it on ebay the knobs looked ivory or bone but they are actually 1930's plastic that has perished.

I struggled to find 40 miniature drawer knobs of any sort to buy, even jewellry box drawer knobs.

Then I had a brainwave.

I have hundreds old sterling silver Threepence bits in my scrap bag awaiting smelting, they are exactly the same size as the drawer knobs.

My intention is to solder a coin onto a tiny brass screw and fit them to the cabinet.
    I will have Victoria on the top 3, Edward VII on next 4 and George V on the remainder.

Silver coin pulls on a coin cabinet.
    It can only add to the value:cool:

Watch this space.

5.jpg

20190819_144542.jpg

cxgirl, Bronwen, KSW and 6 others like this.
  13. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

There is a business in my town that will custom make coin rings for people. I have not visited it though. Since coin roll searching is a new hobby of mine. Thought I'd share a recent find. It's a 2005 Kansas quarter. Note themotto says "in god we rust". @Joe2007
    rust.jpg

14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

That is caused by a Grease Filled Die when it has struck the coin.

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

You child of the devil!:eek::hilarious:

It sounds really beautiful, Davey, and appropriate.:)

Aquitaine, Bronwen and daveydempsey like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I know the feeling.:rolleyes:

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  17. Jivvy

I posted this in the cameo thread some time ago. :eek:
    temp01 (1).jpg

18. Any Jewelry

I gave you a like, which doesn't mean I like it, just that I like that you posted it.:confused:
    But do I? Really??:confused::bag:

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Jivvy

I know. It kind of takes one's breath away, doesn't it?

And I mean that in the worst possible way. :hilarious:

20. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Davey! I was happy to find it.

Bronwen and daveydempsey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted