A few objects and marks that I need help on, please Porcelain & Crystal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Feb 24, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Hi everyone A few pieces that I am having trouble with and hope someone knows or recognizes. Thank you for any help!!

IMG_3991.JPG HV8qTaPOSgGNr1MtN4ihXA.jpg Bt1HSLgYS5aAMF5M6yp8Uw.jpg f3%wOktlT32fW0s3UIOAoA.jpg
    At first glance, (remember I am a porcelain, glass, crystal novice and learning) I thought his face looked like German porcelain I have come across but thought that his fingers were not detailed enough to make him of German origin. I researched the blue mark and came across an incredibly confusing article where I could not make heads or tails as to whether he is German or Austrian. He came in a lot with a lot of older stuff from Austria and a few German pieces too, but I thought I had identified the mark as Sitzendorf from Germany. Does anyone know?
    IMG_3974.JPG RKHKE1s6TIaYfddnMf14vA.jpg J+AB%CVAQx6bki%rD+BJXw.jpg
    This mark looks like a crown and H but what is the other thingamabob piercing the H? I tried a preliminary search with H marks and came up empty-handed. Recognize it? Also, at 12 1/2" in length, I was thinking it is a bread serving plate. Opinions please.

IMG_4009.JPG S5RoOTcBRTeSUU43d2K%Iw.jpg
    This is am thinking is Waterford as it appears to have a very good quality but I cannot find any marks. I am thinking it is an antique mustard or condiment jar but the handle is throwing me off. It is approx 3" tall with the top on. Am I right? If it is Waterford, do you recognize the pattern?

Thank you for any help, opinions and.... Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The second one is Hermann Ohme.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Gauntlet, that little mustard jar is so sweet! I have quite a collection of antique crystal mustard jars, but none with a handle.
    I'm going to say that I don't think it's Waterford, but ONLY because I've never seen one like that from Waterford! I could be very wrong!

4. gauntlettgems

5. gauntlettgems

So it is a mustard!!! The handle made me think otherwise.... I just thought it had Waterford quality as it does not appear to be cheaply made.

SBSVC likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Modern Waterford is ca 1950 plus, old Waterford ended about 1800.

judy likes this.
  7. gauntlettgems

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The Ohme mark dates to 1892-1921. At 12 1/2" it is called a bun tray. According to my Old Ivory China book (Hillman, et. al.), an 11 1/4" oblong dish is a celery tray and a 12" oblong is a bun tray.

I would be very reluctant to label your mustard as Waterford unless you can find the mark or at least the pattern. The marks can be tricky to find. They're usually either on the bottom rim or inside one of the star's rays on the bottom. Sometimes it shows on the side near the bottom as opposed to the bottom itself. The marks are very faint. The are etched and not very deep. Sometimes you have to have to hold it up to a light just right to find it. I tried to find a Waterford mustard with a handle but didn't have much luck.
    Don

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Voigt Bros of Sitzendorf is the closest I can find in Rontgen.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's an awful lot of lovely quality cut lead crystal out there. God knows who made most of it. The wee mustard looks late 19th/early 20th from the style.

SBSVC likes this.
  12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I know the history of the modern Waterford, but not the wares. (I found a book on the manager.) He was an artist in Czechoslovakia tasked to organizing a cut glass factory in Ireland. He 'liberated' (from the Communist govt) one cutting machine, had seven copies made and set up shop cutting glass.

gauntlettgems and dgbjwc like this.
  13. gauntlettgems

Never heard of a bun tray!! TYVM I would never place Waterford in the listing unless I could find it on it somewhere I looked but in usual spots, I'll have to check in the stars

14. gauntlettgems

And he skyrocketed like a jet-powered missile Interesting!

15. gauntlettgems

That is what I came up with initially and then someone threw in Austria but with no example of the mark

16. gauntlettgems

I will have to look that up

Draft saved Draft deleted