Featured A Few Pieces to Show - help with amber bug

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Nov 29, 2022.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    These 3 were in a box of jewelry I bought recently.
    any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking:)
    Imports - 1 of 4.jpeg

#1 Ballerina brooch marked sterling and I believe the mark for Boucher but it is very hard to make out. It is missing one stone, but they seem to sell for some good money - I'm thinking I'll list it as is and let someone else do the replacing? I'm not good at repairing stuff:)

Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg Imports - 2 of 4.jpeg

Imports - 3 of 4.jpeg Imports - 4 of 4.jpeg

#2 Miriam Haskell Bar Pin Brooch, marked on the back. I've never had a Haskell piece before, looks in fantastic shape
    Imports - 1 of 2 (1).jpeg Imports - 2 of 2 (1).jpeg

judy, bercrystal, Figtree3 and 8 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Where is the bug's belly? Great stuff by the way.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Bug brooch, I believe amber looking at the reaction under a blacklight. New? Edited to add photos of mark found

Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Untitled - 1 of 1 (4).jpeg Imports - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg Imports - 1 of 2.jpeg Imports - 2 of 2.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    judy, bercrystal, kentworld and 7 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

not enough photo space in the original post so the bug is posted below

KSW, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if it is....that's a pretty translucent piece of amber !!:woot::woot:

IvaPan, kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's the mark near the base of the pin..

IvaPan and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I just found a mark, no idea what it means though. I posted them with the other bug photos:)

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

KSW, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

KSW, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

The bug is Soviet Russian imo, the mark reads ЗФС or О, in Cyrillic, at least I read it. Maybe Nathalie can help, I don't know much about Russian amber makers.
    Aznathalie posted a catalogue of Kaliningrad amber plant where there were similar bugs, here
    https://pikabu.ru/story/sovetskiy_katalog_izdeliy_iz_yantarya_1960_god_8203368?view=amp

Here there is an offer from Ukraine of the same bug, says it was made in Kaliningrad and is gold plated.
    https://abyhom.com/brosh--kaliningr...EpnZndtT29VLWpJdkRoc1R1MVhZT05Zc0c3TUV6WmhYVA..

The mark of Kaliningrad is "ЯК" - Янтарный Комбинат, but I don't see it on the bug. For me it is definitely Cyrilic but I read ЗФ, which is "porcelain plant."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Blimey. Very nice. And yes to amber.

KSW, KikoBlueEyes, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  13. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

As far as I can see, there were two amber plants in USSR, in Kaliningrad and in Riga, on the contrary to porcelain where there were more than a hundred plants. So if it is not Kalinigrad, it will be Riga. The mark is a puzzle for me, maybe I am just a bit crazy about porcelain but this is what I see :) The last letter could be Я, from amber in Russian. And the first symbol I read as 8, they used to mark with a number and then letters ЯК in Kaliningrad.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, typical Soviet era cute amber bug brooch, and I also think Kaliningrad.

From what I've seen, Riga amber jewellery is more silver with amber details, often traditional motifs, or melchior and amber jewellery.
    Whereas in Kaliningrad the focus is on the amber, and mostly Modernist designs and goldplated details.

Figtree3, KSW, Dessert58 and 3 others like this.
  15. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Any, you have deep knowledge and a lot of experience, and your opinion is well argumented, so I completely agree with you. For me it is already established that the bug is Soviet amber from Kaliningrad.

The only puzzling thing for me is this mark, I cannot figure out what it might say and why I see the letters З and Ф. З can be for Завод - Plant, but Ф...., the only thing I can figure is фарфор - porcelain.
    I will take the liberty and will call @Aznathalie for help.

Figtree3, KSW, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you for all the information @IvaPan :) That catalogue shows some very cool pieces

the mark is a puzzle to me too, even looking at the last letter with a loupe it is impossible to see it clearly:)

KSW and komokwa like this.
  17. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

Ф .factory
    Many factories produced such brooches, they were popular. Perhaps your Rostov. Or the Sidorov jewelry factory? It is hard to see what letters are in the photo. The first number: 3 means 1993. Or is it a Z? ?3 FYu Feodosiya.
    Screenshot_20221130-151036~2.png Screenshot_20221130-154144~2.png Screenshot_20221130-162403~3.png

Figtree3, KSW, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks bear:)

KSW likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can't help you there, my knowledge of Cyrillic is less than rudimentary.:sorry:
    :)

Just an example of Riga amber and .875 silver brooches, this is one of mine:

upload_2022-11-30_15-29-53.jpeg

A lot of silver, and traditional Latvian floral designs on either side of the amber. Riga amber pieces often have traditional designs.

tie.dye.cat, KSW, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks AJ:) Soviet era - so not new then?

KSW, komokwa, IvaPan and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted