A few rings I thought looked cool

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Feb 2, 2023.

1. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Here are a few rings I got.

Any info would be appreciated . I got a bunch to go through. I just had these at my desk and thought they looked cool. When I figure out how to post pics more efficiently I'll do more at a time.

Againnnnn, no thumbnail. How do I post the picture in the body of the message so u can scroll down and view?

@komokwa , swords later.

Attached Files:

KSW likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  3. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Attached Files:

KSW likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

5. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I appreciate you

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't you just email them from your phone to your computer?? If you do, just make sure each image is UNDER 1 MB!! I also took your second image that didn't load initially (Ring with profile face-right) and tried a different filter on it to see if making the lights and darks less contrasting and a bit smoother.....to see if it helps in showing the image better....(where the heck are you digging these up?:happy:)... makes it a little easier to look at.......yes we see it looks like a Indian with a headband on with some feathers on one (maybe both) side.....he looks like a logo from something I can't quite remember!! Maybe it will ring a bell with another member!!!

194018-B.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    kentworld, KSW and komokwa like this.
  7. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Ya I can do that but I can easily plug it in too. I have been resizing on my phone and cropping down to 1mb. This phone has good resolution. Using a dedicated 3x zoom. I got an good computer I use often just legit been busy af. Single dad living with my mom who is on hospice. Been living here since after my service because my dad had cancer so I wanted to help care for him. Now my mom is going through the same thing..

Regardless I will start using my computer. It looks more professional and easy to scroll through. Gonna need it for the stuff I got.

I also want to verse myself in local laws and such.. Will do research tomorrow. I legit inherited it and had nothing to do with acquiring it so... just the sentiment I will not let someone snatch it

**Oh that looks good now u can really see the head. It almost looks like wings on his helmet. My dad had a friend that traveled all over the middle east and shipped it to him. An assortment that I have no idea what to do with and want to be careful with**

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Any Jewelry, komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wings. Could be Mercury/Hermes or Perseus. Here's one conception of Perseus, who was lent the cap of invisibility by Hermes to aid in his mission to slay Medusa.

Reverchon Perseus 3A.jpg

9. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

The original Clash of the Titans is one of my favorite movies. Perseus is my hero.

KSW, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In a general way, these remind me of a ring I have that looks old because it is crude, but suspect it is modern.

BrassGlassA.jpg BrassGlassD.jpg BrassGlassG.jpg

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  11. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

There is packed dirt and layers of patina on basically all my stuff. I'm going to find somewhere local to get at least a sword tested. No doubt there is fakes. All I got for the interwebs ATM are pics.

Yea those look both old and new I see what ur saying.

Any Jewelry, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if u want to post the swords, where the bots and non members can not see them or download them.....use the General Discussion FORUM...

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry I didn't relay that sooner.......:oops::oops::oops:

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

We appreciate @johnnycb09 too, he is a star!

15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

INDEED!! :)

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Did someone dig or mudlark those rings? They look like finds. He's Hermes/Mercury, I've a similar ring, although mine is only 19th C. Mercury is common on Roman rings here. I've a vague remembrance that legionaries thought he gave protection. There's some in the V&A and the British Museum.

Do NOT whatever you do try and clean these yourself please, you need someone who knows antiquities. No jewellers!

Your Mercury may well be as old as Roman and the single inset diamond is at least mediaeval. The other with the blueish stone looks relatively more recent. Like a few hundred years old, rather than millennia. My first thought was Persian on it.

Shame you're not in the UK, we've a wonderful service for small antiquities. You need a museum.

@Any Jewelry

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wonderful rings.:)

The setting of the stone in the diamond(?) ring looks open backed, meaning that there seems to be a hole behind the stone, which is filled with dirt.
    Open backs are a relatively late development in stone set rings, only in the 19th century. So that ring is 19th century at the earliest.

In Western and Central Asia, the ring with the raised mount and greenish stone (glass?) is a fairly timeless design. Given the condition I would guess 18th-19th century, but I could be wrong.

Do you have a museum or archaeological/historical department near you where you could take them?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I missed the open back, good spot aj.

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's why we're a forum.:) More eyes to spot open backs.:watching::playful:

20. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I really don't know what to say... either elaborate fakes or my dad met an angel from the Middle east online. I will find answers. Also post more pics after work

Aquitaine, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted