Featured A FEW SUNDAY-GLASS SPECIALS FOR YOU TO ENJOY

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ritzyvintage, Jan 17, 2021.

1. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Here are a few more period Art Deco glass lamps from my collection to share with you and hopefully to brighten Your day! Several of these were produced as stand-alone centrepiece display sets at time of manufacture, and as with like all manner of items they were adapted into lamps by the retailers of the day due to customer demand when electricity became available to the general public.

upload_2021-1-17_13-24-34.png
    1930s German Art Deco 2 piece set by Bernsdorf.

upload_2021-1-17_13-26-32.png
    Left to Right (all 1930s)
    "Three Cherubs" attributed to S. Mueller & Co, Czechoslovakia.
    Uranium glass 2 piece set by Sowerby, England.
    "Ring of Roses" maker unknown.

upload_2021-1-17_13-34-44.png
    1930s French Art Deco "Pheasant" lamps by Verlys
    upload_2021-1-17_13-37-34.png
    (Shown here lit - Length 16 inches)

upload_2021-1-17_13-39-41.png
    1930s Bohemian Art Deco 2 piece set by Rosice.

upload_2021-1-17_13-43-43.png
    1930s German Art Deco "Arabella" pattern lamps by Walther & Sohnne.

The green glass example is produced using Uranium as a colouring agent, which
    reacts under UV Black-Light as shown below.

Attached Files:

dgbjwc, antidiem, MT Vessel and 15 others like this.
  2. ritzyvintage

3. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I had that ring of roses one in green.

6. 1930s Art Deco uranium glass candle holder.jpg

5. ritzyvintage

KSW, NewEngland, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  6. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

@ritzyvintage Very tantalizing collection, the 1930’s German Art Deco two-piece immediately caught my eye, I particularly love that one! ❤️Maven

KSW, NewEngland, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  7. ritzyvintage

@Vintage Maven Examples by Bernsdorf are relatively low cost and offer exceptional value for money. They often appear on eBay for less than £50 GBP (without a lamp base) and they were also produced in a variety of colours.

This "Dancing Lady" piece by Josef Inwald is a particular favourite of mine. The bowl 'screams' Art Deco, and it always reminds me of a UFO! The 13" glass lady shown on the Right is by Cambridge, USA

upload_2021-1-17_15-22-21.png

8. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

I quite agree with you. I thank you very much for taking a moment to post these examples from your collection. I am going to take a “very serious” gander, and make some purchases of this nature. I love their artful elegance, and glow, they would go very well in my home, in little splashes about. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

10. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They are, again, ALL BEAUTIFUL, but really like the 1930s Bohemian Art Deco 2 piece set by Rosice, and since I LOVE blue as well, your ‘Dancing Lady’ is rather special!!!!:happy::happy:

ritzyvintage, KSW, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

13. larryE

larryE Active Member

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Fabulous collection Ritzyvintage:) I love the pheasants, I've never seen those before - thanks for sharing:)

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Uranium glass is heating up a bit with the Geek set, but personally I'm more partial to that pheasant. He's pretty! (and part of my little artist brain, such talent as I possess, is seeing a peacock done in the uranium glass. )

16. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I love your collection! Your photographs are terrific, too. Thanks for sharing.

17. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Me too !!!

18. Stunning! Thank you for sharing. I've never seen any like these before.

19. ritzyvintage

Very little European glass was exported to USA during the 1930s & 1940s. The costs of transportation coupled with distribution made things far too expensive. The years of Depression were also a governing factor, and then of course WWII played havoc with transatlantic trade.

It is also true that USA had no financial need to export their own glass throughout Europe, and so it is only relatively recently that collectors here have access to examples of American glassware, and/or have seen much of it, apart from say L C Tiffany and Carnival Glass.

The devastating effects of bombing throughout WWII destroyed many glass producing factories in France and Germany, and many never recovered. This in turn made the production of Art Deco moulded glass fairly limited. hundreds of factory moulds & catalogues were lost whilst some well-known makers such as Etling, for example, met their deaths in Nazi concentration camps.

Vintage Maven and NewEngland like this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a market for USA Depression glass overseas. It's really pretty, but the dinnerware and "pretty" items don't sell here.

Draft saved Draft deleted