Featured A few WWII items I believe? Grenade real or Dummy

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Brywil1970, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Are these all WWII? Also was the grenade real ofr a practice dummy? I figured it was a practice grenade but then why would there be a cork in the bottom?

TIA, Bryan

IMG_0706 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0707 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0708 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0709 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0710 (800x600).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wouldn't pull that pin.....:eek:

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I think the leggings are Marine Corps (USMC).

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  5. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

It is a practice grenade, body almost certainly made between about 1940-1970, and fuze obviously made in 1975. The hole in bottom assures you it is a practice grenade. Original color most likely blue. If you want to check if a live fuze or a fired one with spoon and pin re-inserted, remove cork and look into hole using a flashlight. Live one will have a slim sheet-metal metal cylinder crimped onto cast-zinc fuze body. If you see the end of an intact cylinder the fuze is live, but if I recall correctly the M10 series were "igniting" fuses, which make a small, fiery flash when the time delay burns down, but don't detonate.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Christmasjoy, komokwa and lauragarnet like this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

As I recall, the UK grenade fuse of that type used a .22 blank cartridge to fire the time delay fuse to the actual primer and gaine and charge.
    This enabled me to have some fun with a few smoke grenades I salvaged after a military exercise in Dorset. By replacing the .22 blank (readily available for starting pistols) I could make a device that would give a hamless bang if you pulled the pin and released the clip. This was in the late 1950s. We had to make our own entertainment in those days.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'd contact the fire department and let them look at it. Don't bring it in. That makes them a tad nervous. They're trained to know.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

The CORK in the end of the grenade is a dead giveaway that its a DUMMY, on a real one there would be no hole.

10. springfld.arsenal

Sometimes if EOD squad gets involved with something they can easily tell is inert, they'll put 1/2 lb. or so of their own stash of C-4 on it and start the cameras rolling. They'll release the big boom footage to the news media to show how they saved the world. Job security.

11. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys any idea on the hat?

12. springfld.arsenal

Garrison cap. Should have some kind of label in it, does it?

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted