A little trinket box - Dresden? Zsolnay Pecs?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Aug 23, 2020.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

This is a little porcelain trinket box, with some hand painted flowers and basketweave moulding. It is surprising that despite having a decent flat base it is unmarked, although there may once have been a label stuck on it. The only clue is a Z painted in blue on one side, an odd place for a mark. Without it I would have thought this was basic Dresden, probably 20th century, but Dresden pieces usually have at least a D underneath. The only thing I can think of involving a Z is Zsolnay Pecs, but again, why isn't it properly marked? Maybe Z is the painter, but the painting isn't special, and I doubt a painter would be allowed to claim it like that. Any ideas? trinket - 1.jpg trinket - 3.jpg trinket - 5.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The Z may just be an artist cypher. As the decorators were paid by the piece there was a marking system used so the manufacturer could tell who decorated how many pieces. Unusual to find it on the side and under the glaze though.

Or the Z may be the mark of a studio. The box may have been sold as white ware to a studio who then decorated it and added their studio mark. That may explain why the bottom is not marked by the maker. Manufacturers did not want their name associated with products decorated outside their own factories.

Either way it's doubtful very much can be learned about it. Wish I could give you better information.
    Don

judy likes this.
  3. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your input! I've had a closer look and agree that the Z is under the glaze, whereas the flowers are on top, which seems to rule out an individual "Z" who bought the piece white and decorated it for themselves. So probably manufactured to be sent out to a studio "Z", the details maybe never to be known. It is what it is, a pretty little trinket box, unfortunately with a cracked lid, but I hope someone will want it for their collection or just to pop stuff in. Everything should find a home somewhere.

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted