Featured A lovely world of brown: More Victorians.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Moriarty, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

PXL_20211113_212039100.jpg PXL_20211001_235440321.MP.jpg PXL_20211118_220627907.jpg Hello everyone, a few in my last thread I made were happy to see some of my other pieces so I'll share another 3 V These 3 specifically because I had then restored and reupholstered in various forms of 19th century fabric.

Pictures 1 and 3 share the same fabric. It is a 19th century French crettone, originally a curtain I think. Style reminds me of Henri II. Had some left over so we did the chair. That chair appears to be a simple Eastlake but those arches and floral are strongly Renaissance as well

Picture 2 is a chair I'm unsure what type of chair it is or what style. The fabric is quite arts and crafts I would say like a William Morris Style. Chair is lined with cotton and filled with straw.

Thanks for letting me share. I tried to get a better picture of the Jacobean revival settle but my cat is a former feral which is quite territorial to that bench oddly enough .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  2. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Having a devil of a time uploading the last image of the other chair of the pair. Shame really.

pearlsnblume, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Are you uploading from an iphone?

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  4. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Nay I think it's just too old a photo. I will try to take new one sometime .

I found the reason, its 2 MB, so too large to post evidently. It won't decompress either.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Beautifully reupholstered! :)

Aquitaine, judy, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love that settee !

Aquitaine, Fern77, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

8. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Appreciate that! Would you know what type of chair picture number 2 is? Are the arms oak? Picture number 1 is Walnut do you think?

9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

10. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

I've added the other chair! Thank you in advance to the moderator for attaching it for me. This is probably my favourite of the fabrics. I get a bit of a Gothic tone from it but it's probably Henri II again like the other one.

pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Is it just me that sees in your 2nd photo, the body of a woman? If you attached a head at the top of that middle stripe, there she would be. Very nice Furniture.

komokwa and silverbell like this.
  12. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

I saw that too. There is a word for that! It may come to me sometime.

komokwa likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

See if this helps

[​IMG]

Born2it and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if not the body...at least.....a woman's vintage dress !!!;)

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Chair 1 is walnut with a bit of walnut burl veneer accent. Can't tell much about chair 2. I get a Turkish vibe from it. Wood might be elm. Can we see a pic of the whole chair and a profile?

Moriarty likes this.
  16. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

No problem! Unsure what profile means actually though. Uploaded 3 more. You can see on the back where I ran out of the arts and crafts fabric haha.

PXL_20221017_175600891.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20221017_175722873.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20221017_175634137.NIGHT.jpg

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Profile = side view. Seems more British colonial once I see the whole thing. Rather like this and seems like it would be quite comfy.

Moriarty likes this.
  18. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

Do those arms of the chair have a name to them? I always thought they looked peculiar. Many thanks. Also I'm having a difficult time differentiating oak from Elm. Will change in time I hope

Draft saved Draft deleted