Featured A peek inside my mother's doll collection

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Migg, Oct 17, 2019.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Great collection. All the best.

Migg and judy like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Outside of a museum, that is the best collection I have ever seen. I am so sorry about your mother. Does she have some dolls with her? To keep her company?

o

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Migg, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  3. Migg

Migg Member

Thank you :) I do wish we had members to rely on. The older members in her club are in their 80s and 90s. The younger members are only interested in more modern dolls. They are no longer official UFDC members, though. About a decade ago they mailed in their annual fees and were told they no longer met the minimum number of members requirement to be a club. They struggled in this region to find more members. They still continued their monthly meetings until the beginning of this year when more members met with illness or tragedy.

judy likes this.
  4. Migg

Migg Member

Thank you :) We did not bring any with her but we think we will put some of her tiny china head dolls in a shadowbox. I've found some really interesting tiny dolls that I had not noticed before.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

my adored Grandma was spry and quite independent till she broke her hip at 91.She rapidly declined after that and was gone 2 years later. I live in terror of my mother doing the same,and shes already fallen a couple of times. Best of luck to your venture,I hope you get pots of money!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That sort of thing almost happened with my mother's doll club. But they managed to get enough members to remain as a UFDC affilliate, at least for now. I think they had to have something like 10-15 members. Does that sound right? Some of the members of hers seem to be somewhat younger. Although some are in the 80s -- and maybe 90s?

Anyway, I remember that when one of the members died the woman's husband invited doll club members over to help in identifying some of the dolls. Also, they each got to pick one doll to keep. When a different member died (probably in her 60s but in ill health) they got to buy something from the collection before the dolls were sold. At least I think I'm remembering correctly.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Do not put any of high value.
    Unfortunately, and I hate to say it. Things have a tendency to disappear from elder care rooms.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry to be so late to the discussion, I am sick with a nasty flu right now. That is one MARVELOUS doll collection, very nice indeed. I think the dolls would need to have a 'hands on' inspection before being sold .. just to get the up front perspective of each doll. It's lovely that others are doing hand sewing, it is a dying art .. I was schooled in England and us girls were started off with needle and thread from the age of 7yrs .. I still have the little needle case that I made at that age in Garlinge Junior School. Anyway .. your Mother had a good eye and a great talent with her sewing skills .. Bless her heart, .. Joy. :):):)

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I knew you'd be impressed Joy!

Can't wait to see the doll clothes that you so lovingly made.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted