A picture on a tree, 19th century?

Discussion in 'Art' started by SSlava, Jun 14, 2018.

1. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

This picture of the 19th century?

What do you think about her? the seller is greedy, wants a lot of money for her (about $ 100) 1.jpg 2.jpg

2. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

well judging by color of a tree, not earlier than the 19th century))?

I saw pictures 17th century on a board, a tree at a board black)).

3. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

I have icons of the first half of the 19th century, the tree already had a much darker color.

Most likely a picture of the second half of the 19th century, maybe later?

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Say that it is painted on board. Admittedly, a wooden board was once part of a tree, but it is distracting, and inaccurate, to say that it is painted on a tree (even allowing for linguistic differences).

The portrait has a generic format that has been around for centuries.

How big is it?

SSlava likes this.
  5. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

The size is small, 15 by 20 centimeters.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

SSlava is from Russia, wood and tree are both дерево in Russian (google translate). He does his best to communicate in a foreign language, he just didn't know which translation to choose.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I understand that there is a language difference involved. I was trying to clarify, not criticize.

For me, $100 would be a lot.

Any Jewelry and Lucille.b like this.
  8. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Yes, he wants a lot for such a picture. I do not think I'll take it for that kind of money.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

The frame also appears recent and the board also looks quite recent too. There just doesn't seem to be much age to the colour of the board and the lighter scratches on the back can happen on new board exposed to the sun. It's always difficult to tell from a photograph. The board just doesn't look right, it seems remarkably well cut, the edges are very straight and they fit into the frame securely. The few paintings on board that I have are a bit rough, the edges a bit warped, the board usually fits into the frame quite loosely. Unless there is a painted date or some way of dating it, I'd even suggest 20th Century. Is it possible an old canvas has been glued to a new board?

Christmasjoy and SSlava like this.
  10. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Yes, I have to a board many questions too. Though the board has an age, but apparently, no more than 50-80 years, judging by color of a board and cuts.

Perhaps the picture is postponed for a new basis? It is necessary to study a picture more attentively alive.

11. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi SSlava. Yes I agree with you and I think your thoughts are correct. It is always better to see and feel an object, but I am amazed at how much knowledge and skill the members of this forum have in being able to identify and age things from the photographs submitted. Also, I have noticed a lot of really excellent and interesting Russian impressionist paintings (1900-1950) for sale online at the moment. Some really beautiful works are appearing. Good luck with your decision.

Christmasjoy and SSlava like this.
  12. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/picture-of-the-first-half-of-the-20th-century.28094/

Do you like this picture for example?

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I like your first portrait but I'm partial to paintings of old people. I have nothing to offer on it's value or age though.:)

SSlava likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted