Featured A pottie question: Sarreguemines covered dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Jan 30, 2024.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I've had this little dish/pot for some time and recently searched for info. Read all about Sarreguemines, know the pottery was originally in France but later was in German territory. What I don't find is any other redware that looks remotely like this. This is not fine china, feels like stoneware. It is about 5" end to end, 2 1/2"front to back and stands about 2 1/2"tall with the lid in place. The interior of the lid and pot are both glazed and glossy. It would be nice to know what kind of bird is on the top, it looks like a duck but I believe there is a more specific name for it with its long beak and the way the leg and foot are shown. So, my potty friends, I need your help! Thanks for being there!

Linda I
    20240130_154311.jpg 20240130_154331.jpg 20240130_154341.jpg 20240130_160142.jpg 20240130_154331.jpg 20240130_154341.jpg

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I don't have any info about Sarreguemines pottery being made in Germany, or redware, but I did want to tell you it looks like a little tiny replica of an antique game pie dish.
    If you do an internet search for antique game pie dish you'll see what I mean.

3. LauraGarnet02

I did discover in the last few minutes that the tiny game pie dishes are for patee.

Made in Germany. Redware.
    Antique Sarreguemines Germany Plate Redware Blue With Gold Floral Enamel 7 3/4”
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/175929530570

kentworld likes this.
  4. lvetterli

Thank you @LauraGarnet02 ! I was beginning to despair of learning more about it. Now I can move forward with it!

Gratefully, Linda

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

Hopefully someone can ID your bird now that you're bumped back up.

I looked at spoonbill and shovelbill birds, but had no luck.

6. lvetterli

I found paté dishes made by other companies also called terrines, but no other redware by Sarreguemines. But my poor slow brain finally made the connection: its a duck of some kind. Paté is often made of duck liver. Click!
    Any progress is good.

Linda

LauraGarnet02, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  7. LauraGarnet02

8. lvetterli

Thank you @LauraGarnet02! By googling Sarreguemines I discovered it is in Alsace-Lorraine which was German territory from 1878-1917, which accounts for being labeled both French and German and gives me a timeframe. So it is a true antique.

I think that should do it!

Thanks! Linda

9. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Nice dish! I'm pretty sure this would be a foie Gras dish specifically, the fatty pate made from duck livers. These aren't very common to find here in France - I haven't seen one of these before :)

10. lvetterli

Thank you so much, @KylieS That gives me more search terms!
    Off on another rabbit trail!

Linda

11. lvetterli

Oh, my! Using just "foie gras" to search with and narrowing it to pottery and glass I found several other Sarreguemines pieces! Amazing what a difference the right search terms makes!
    Thanks everyone, it really does take a village!

Linda

kentworld, komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted