Featured A reasonably old book I just refound

Discussion in 'Books' started by afantiques, Sep 15, 2014.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Inspired by pictures of other people's clutter, I looked in a box that looked like a pile of books and a carrier bag, and top of the heap was this 1670 2nd edition of 'Parable of the Pilgrim' by Symon Patrick B.D. printed 'at the sign of the Three Daggers in Fleet Street'.

Im not much on moral platitudes but I'll read at least some of it for the flavour of the period. It seems to be pretty rare, the only comparable I could find was a 4th edition in inferior condition on Abebooks that the seller wanted £150 for, and apart from a slight water stain mine is soundly bound and little worn.

It has the bookplate of an Irish baronet from about 1800, somehow I bought a stack of books from the same library that had remained together
    for 200 years.

1-P1030743.JPG

1-P1030744.JPG

1-P1030745.JPG
    Books are good at growing old gracefully if left more or less undisturbed.

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Oh my!
    All I have found this morning, is a whole lot of cat hair and dust. Plus a few dead spiders.
    I would much rather have found a book like yours.

3. afantiques

And I have cat hair, dust and spiders...................

spirit-of-shiloh and Messilane like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Nice old book, but a seriously tedious read, I suspect. And all the "f" instead of "s" letters is annoying, but I guess if you stick with it the author's journey long enough, you'll get used to them. More power to you AF--I like to see all these shed re-discoveries! :beaver:

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I too have cat hair,dust and spiders...must be a plague of some kind ?:p

Af that book is wonderful,while trying to read it I felt like a foreigner learning to read english. :D

6. afantiques

The message can be pretty repetitive but the details of the language used can be interesting, in a brief random snippet there was a reference to Reverend Beards, and kissing the snotty handkerchief of Thomas a Becket 'with the trails and prints of Snot still on it'.

kentworld and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  7. spirit-of-shiloh

No way??? I better go back and read, I saw mention of fields,snow and breasts.

OK,the jest of it is he is in love with a gal who's name I can't make out,she haunts his dreams and he is going to venture out,alone in his travels but with whats her name in his heart?????? Did I read it correctly?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  8. afantiques

Jerusalem is a place and an allegory. But what I took from the two pages displayed was the idea that in winter the earth is farther from the sun, which would have seemed reasonable at the time.

The idea is to get into the mind of 17th C Man to some small extent.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

Oh I get it now, I thought Jerusalem was a girls name? I didn't even make it out as Jerusalem? Now the story makes sense :)

10. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

I agree that ".. in (the north hemisphere) winter the earth is farther from the sun.." would seem reasonable, but as we know now it is false.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

12. sneezer

sneezer Noob

anyone know how i can post my own threads?

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bradley, click "Forums" at the top left of the page, then click the title of whichever forum seems most appropriate. Then click "Post New Thread" above right side of the pink bar. (I'm posting this in more than one thread where you asked so hopefully you'll see it.)

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pat - you're at least the third person to answer him. I hope he sees one of the answers soon.

Pat P likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's funny that this old thread has been resuscitated at least twice.
    :cat: -- Or perhaps I'm just easily amused today.

Pat P and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted