Featured A repair question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Finnclouds, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

I was trying to clean this lavalier necklace very, very carefully (toothpick and a microfiber cloth and a little silverpolish), but the little ring soldered at one end of the necklace broke in half at the slightest tuck. :-( It must have been pretty close to breaking to start with, so I’m glad it happened before I wore and lost it without noticing. I’ve done that before.

I’d really love love some expert advice now. @kyratango?
    Can a new ring be soldered on the lavalier for the chain? I believe firework is not always possible on old silver jewelry? With strass? Or would superglue or one of the blue light cured glues have to do?

It has old French silver hallmarks.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions! 20240307_112205.jpg 20240307_111920.jpg

2. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece! Do you have a jeweler near your home to whom you could ask? I would definitely get 2 or 3 recommendations before acting. I just did the same process with a watch I had repaired (went to 3 diff ppl).

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely Art Deco necklace, Finn.
    Yes, it can.
    A lavalier(e) necklace has a delicate and often slender pendant, so this isn't a lavalier, but that wasn't you question.:bag:

4. Finnclouds

Thanks, AJ.

I was reading online that the heat of the solder can crack the stones/gless so do they have to take them out? I was actually just watching an instruction video for soldering silver but it didn’t answer my question either. So many questions, so few answers… :)

As for lavalier — noted. So what’s the right word for that Art Deco necklace type—very long thin chain and a sizeable kinda horizontal pendant?

Edit — swag?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Bronwen likes this.
  5. Finnclouds

Thanks Tiguer — I’m in Lisbon now & don’t speak Portuguese so I could explain what I want done so I’ll wait till I’m in Helsinki.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I had soldering done here in NL with a similar situation regarding the stones. The jeweller "froze" the stones to protect them. I didn't see how, and I don't know if every jeweller has the equipment to do that, so you'll probably have to ask around.
    My stones were tourmalins, btw.

Aquitaine, Bronwen, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Not a swag either, that is more like a festoon.
    I would call this a bib necklace, but that may not be entirely correct, so let's wait for the others.

Bronwen and mirana like this.
  8. Finnclouds

Ok, thanks.

I’d be tempted to try superglue except I was trying to fix a pair of reading glasses with superglue last week when the plastic frame broke and the lens fell out. The end result was a bit of bright red plastic frame glued to my forefinger, and no glasses.

9. Finnclouds

Bib sounds like something larger and much shorter? The chain is 60 cm long.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I think kyra would use UV curing resin, although I am not sure she would advise that with this weight. So let's wait for kyra.
    :inpain:
    Can your finger read better now?:angelic:

Maybe it is the brand, but I find superglue is not as good as it used to be. Mine certainly wouldn't hold the weight of your necklace.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  11. Any Jewelry

I didn't realize that. You're right, not really a bib with such a long chain.
    What about "one of those typical Art Deco necklaces"?;)

12. Finnclouds

Unfortunately, the lens didn’t stick to the frame like at all. Otherwise that might’ve been handy —a semipermanent magnifying glass -finger.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Finnclouds

Nah, that won’t do. We need a fancy word like a lavalier.

Which reminds me — do you want to see my “curved blade” butter knife? It just came. Mail from the UK takes weeks.

14. Any Jewelry

Do I want to see your “curved blade” butter knife? Why yes, of course I do!:playful:

kyratango, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

kyratango, Bronwen, Dessert58 and 3 others like this.
  16. Finnclouds

Thanks, Hollyblue. I’d probably bettr have the other whatchamacallit ring done at the same time if I find someone to do it.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Finnclouds

For AJ— please note my great demonstrative aid — the pink paperclip. :)The camera and the shine of the silver flattens the convexity/fools the eye. i

20240307_142531.jpg 20240307_143317.jpg

18. Any Jewelry

It is a beauty, Finn.:happy:
    This purchase was my fault, wasn't it? I own it 100%.
    I'm impressed!

19. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

A jeweler that has a laser could repair it without effecting the surrounding area, might have to check around

20. Finnclouds

Thanks coreya! I wouldn’t have known to even ask about laser without this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted