A ring! What's it made of.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Chris Mount, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all found this in my bag of mostly costume jewellery and crap and the only reason I looked twice is that it looked similar to an ivory figure I have. It feels like it but not sure. If so any ideas in age. 15167778436390.jpg 15167778437511.jpg 15167778437802.jpg 15167778649813.jpg 15167778650364.jpg 15167778944206.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm guessing it is ivory - I think I see I see what look like the type of lines you would see in ivory in your second image - but I'm pretty clueless about ivory in general - so don't trust my guess.

kyratango likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yes it looks like ivory....
    as for age...I'm unsure of just how anyone could tell ..that wouldn't be anything but a guess.

gregsglass and kyratango like this.
  4. Chris Mount

Understand entirely there were a few older pieces in the bag so would have to say does have some age I hope so anyway

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I had an ivory ring back in the 1960s. Mine was a simply band, not curved like yours.

kyratango likes this.
  6. komokwa

Why, exactly.
    What difference would it make if the ring was 10 years old....or 35 years old..?

It wouldn't make the ivory, any more Ivory....and for a simple ring..it would be impossible to prove anyways..!
    Even if it was from the 70's , when around here Ivory rings were a dime a dozen...
    What difference would that be ?

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like ivory, do you see any cross hatching in the lines? If so, it is ivory. Those are called Schreger lines:
    upload_2018-1-24_9-14-16.jpeg

Your ring looks pre 1947. Maybe from colonial Congo, @kristiaan will probably know.
    I have a 1930s ivory ring with a twist design and a slightly domed top, but that doesn't necessarily make yours pre-cites. I don't know what the regulations for old ivory are like in Australia?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    judy, antidiem and kyratango like this.
  8. Chris Mount

Why does it always seem like your yelling at your computer when you answer something a little more tact might be nice for some members who have only been here a short time might have a break from this site for a while have a nice day

9. Any Jewelry

It is just komo's way. A bit rough around the edges at times, but lovable really, and someone who will always have your back if needed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  10. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Hello,
    it could be Congo made...but they work is generally crude...
    This looks way better made.
    And definitely ivory.

11. komokwa

I'm sorry to have ruffled your feathers.
    The question was honest.....without rudeness or vulgarity.....and certainly no YELLING !
    My answer on post #3 didn't seem to bother you....or get you to consider leaving the site....a site where you've received much help & an overall friendly inclusion...so I can only surmise that your desire for this pretty ivory ring to be from the late 1800's is so strong......that the mere question of " why do you need it to be old?"....caused you great pain and suffering.

For that , I'm sorry !

( but still, I doubt it warranted an attack on my character in a blanket statement , such as you've put forward....)

judy, kyratango, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Schreger lines confirm ivory, but their absence does not rule it out. They only appear where the piece has been cut cross grain, which many things are not.

Looks like ivory to me too. Style is similar to many bangle bracelets from the 70s.

judy, kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now that that's out of the way....

Definitely a vintage ivory ring. I've found bangles carved about the same way, and 70s sounds right.

judy, kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  14. Chris Mount

My apologies after some reflection my comments were a little unwarranted given what this site is meantfor. Water under the bridge i hope k. Chris

15. Any Jewelry

So glad you're back, I missed you.:happy:

judy likes this.
  16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Very NICE ring indeed Chris, .. Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted