A simple question; but I'm not sure the answer will be.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

What are the characteristics of a stoneware Rhine wineglass? And is this one?

Bi-coloured stemmed wine glass (ruby/red cut to clear); five clear panels. 12.5 cm high. Rings at the flick of a fingernail. Centre of stem imprinted 'France'. Anything else of interest. Is it worth anything? I have 13 of them in perfect condition. Some suggest that it could be Baccarat; but no mark visible, although, apparently, they were not marked until after 1936. Photo 2 is a 1910 to 1930 CRISTAL BACCARAT HARCOURT VERRE A VIN DU RHIN ROEMER ROUGE

Many thanks any guidance you can give. This is mine:

DSCF7458 lowres.jpg

And this is my dream glass:

CRISTAL BACCARAT HARCOURT VERRE A VIN DU RHIN ROEMER ROUGE.jpg

TallCakes likes this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Regarding your first sentence of this post. Stoneware is baked clay aka fired in a kiln.

You are showing pictures of red cut to clear glass. Glass is made from melted sand.

From the way you posed the question I wasn't sure if you know the difference between pottery and glass. ;) Just trying to be helpful not snarky in any way.

4. Brian Warshaw

LauraGarnet02 and TallCakes like this.
  5. Brian Warshaw

I suppose I was really asking about the use of the word 'Rhine' wineglass. But I confused the question by saying 'stoneware' instead of 'stemware'. So thanks for your response. I assume that in 1970 when this range was started the cutting was done by machine!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd only add that when you get a moulded France mark it's almost always one of the Durand brands.

Rosiposey and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. Brian Warshaw

That's really good information, thank you.

8. Ownedbybear

You're very welcome.

9. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

As I remember, having lived in Germany and drank Rhine and Mosel wines, Rhine wine glasses have an amber-colored stem and bottle. BTW: Mosel glasses have a rich green stem...as do the bottles. Also, the shape is very different.

LauraGarnet02 and Brian Warshaw like this.
  10. Brian Warshaw

Thank you, that's good to know.

11. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

I brought 12 of each back but have not used them in years. Google "roemer glass" and you will see many examples. I regret not collecting the antique German wine glasses for they are splendid. Forget about buying a set, but the singles are often very reasonably priced.

Brian Warshaw and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Roehmers/rummers are great for slurping a nice cold Moselle or Bernkastel. Or a Luxembourg wine if you can find it.

Brian Warshaw and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  13. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

This post brought back many good memories of late nights with good friends and German wines. Dang! I didn't know Luxembourg was large enough to have vineyards. Roemers in Germany and rummers in the Netherlands, as I remember.

Draft saved Draft deleted