Featured A strange glass figurine - Help needed please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ritzyvintage, Feb 15, 2021.

1. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Yet another Art Deco period glass figurine which baffles me in more ways than one, is this example. I purchased it on eBay a number of years ago and although I've seen one other example it was without any accompanying info.

Firstly, practically every press moulded glass figurative sculpture produced by any maker, are without any gaps or spaces between their limbs and are moulded in one solid piece. The reasons for this are threefold: 1. Semi-molten glass collapses & distorts when it is removed from its mould as it cannot support itself. 2. Additional tooling by hand to prevent the glass from collapsing will usually result with stresses fractures & cracks once the piece has cooled. 3. Removing any moulding lines between the gaps & spaces is also a time consuming & costly task. These 3 basic reasons are why even the finest of factories steered well clear of attempting to produce glass figurines like this piece... It goes against most of the fundamental principles of producing press mould glass figurines quickly and cost effectively. "Gaps" are therefore cleverly incorporated within the overall design and will be "filled" with solid glass.

I cannot think of a European factory that was responsible for producing this piece. The glass colour-type of "Chartreuse" is also particularly uncommon. The only give-away are the moulded block capital letters inside the hollow base: BREVT

That this sculpture would have been a working nightmare to produce, is probably why examples are seldom seen. This doesn't mean it is highly valuable, but it is quite rare in terms of its unconventional approach of manufacture.

Do you know who made it please? Height: 7.5 inches (18cms)
    upload_2021-2-15_13-51-35.png

upload_2021-2-15_13-52-1.png

upload_2021-2-15_13-52-40.png

upload_2021-2-15_13-53-1.png

Figtree3, judy and ulilwitch like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looks like the one guy has been eating chicken embryos? (with apologies for the obscure reference)

3. ritzyvintage

Eggs, you mean???

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Sorry, regional reference probably did not make the Atlantic crossing.

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Fid like this.
  5. ritzyvintage

I see.
    I see, however the figurine pre-dates Coneheads, by at least 50 years ;)
    Perhaps Beaker from The Muppets was the inspiration ??? Seems more likely!

[​IMG]

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

WAG, Harlequin Dancers?

7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The pictures make it look like it almost has a Zsolnay Eosin iridescence to it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I know that guy !

cosita_challenge.png

9. ritzyvintage

It's only the light that's causing its iridescent appearance. The glass is completely Chartreuse in colour, which has then been matt-satin frosted.

It was produced using a 2-piece spring-releasing mould. This is evident by the presence of only 1 moulding line running down the left side of the sculpture (except for those in the spaces & gaps)

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Does it :blackalien: under UV light?

Draft saved Draft deleted