A thead to introduce ourselves.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by clutteredcloset49, May 31, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Shiloh, I just was at a yard sale with tons of vintage sewing stuff. I wish I had gotten there the first day. if I had known, I would have filled up box and sent it to you! Box lots were going for $2. But I don't find too many of those yard sales anymore. Mostly QVC-HSN stuff now. And tons of used baby stuff.

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Wow Marco,$2.00? I have been to the thrifts and they want that much for a sewing machine foot or a couple of bobbins. I have 5 sewing boxes and baskets filled with thread,embroidery floss,needles,lots of buttons,I LOVE BUTTONS,and everything else to do with sewing ;) I used to have 3 sewing machines but gave two away and kept my 60's Moorse that I love.

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

We are talkin' huge boxes, too, not shoe boxes. I grabbed a ton of vintage clothing.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. spirit-of-shiloh

I have no will power Marko, I have too much in the way of junque so I am being good and staying away from thrifts, estate sales and everything else inbetween..otherwise I will end up on TV's Hoarders. :confused::(:eek:

Pat P likes this.
  5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Marko...in Jersey, right?
    It's still out there.
    :)

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I so know what you mean, Shiloh. I need to downsize... not upsize! :rolleyes:

7. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

Excited to have found this place. Long time lurker and occasional poster on eBay boards.

Background: Have always loved the quality and workmanship in old things/furniture, collectibles, vintage things, china, and especially old pottery.

Went through a crazy buying spree of sorts when the market was higher, for resale. I have alot that I am unsure about, identification, etc.

Just went through DH's Grandma's things and have alot to still go through!

Some we are keeping, others selling or taking to auction. Have run out of room and it must go!

Is this the right forum for this? So many of you look like seasoned antiques professionals and I feel like a novice.

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If I can call myself a seasoned pro, I'm one who is a novice in loads of stuff. The list of what all of us don't know gets longer by the day as our ignorance expands into new fields. Everyone is a novice at lots of things and we learn a bit from each other, so you'd be no different, in essence, from all the 'seasoned pros' or raddled old crones and relics, as a more unbiased observer would call them.

Welcome to the group, and certainly the hordes of pottery mavens will be keen to stretch their brains a bit. It's something I know little about, but that's no loss at all.

I conclude you most be comparatively young, as you are of the generation that uses alot as one word instead of two. I see a lot of this so it must be the way the language is going.

spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Who you callin' a "raddled old crone," Af? Them's fightin' words!! :rage: :D :D :D

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Af, I've received emails from people in their 60s who spell alot as one word. So I'm not sure that it's generational ... or if it is, the older generation has picked it up from the younger!

11. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the welcome. :cat:

AF, are you from the UK? I enjoy your posts, your use of the English language.

Chuckling here, I haven't been called young for awhile, but I'll take it, I am basking in it for awhile! I am just about in the middle of life, a baby boomer from the last years of it. Always have used "alot". Somehow when I type "a lot", I think I am talking about a lot of items, as in box lot.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Happy,
    Welcome to the forum. We can try and help you with your ID'ing. Besides we love to have new sources of potterty and etc to look at. It will helpwith the ID if you show lots of photos with pottery it is important to show a picture of the entire piece as well as to show a picture of the bottom. Also besure to tell us the size of the item.
    Some of the people here are experts, some are experenced but no manner which we are all learners and try to be friendly. Some of the posts seem to be questionable but it is hard to show emotions without voice.
    greg

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

AF, are you from the UK? I enjoy your posts, your use of the English language.

Yes, British, and we don't all make speeches and write literature, but some of us can be a high falutin' in style, just for the hell of it. Sometimes I can be handy with British related stuff, otherwise I just sit in a corner and say nothing.

14. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg. Right now I have some glass that needs IDing. Need to find the time to get pictures done...

AF, I am just an old Southern gal from Virginia, an area steeped in the history between our two countries, if y'all know what I mean? /southern drawl

ps-My avatar is one of our pets, "Miss Happy"--I'll get a pic of her back to show you why she is named that.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  15. spirit-of-shiloh

16. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thanks Shiloh. I share your love of horses, my sister owned some, but I never was so lucky.

17. spirit-of-shiloh

Hi Happy...you can REALLY consider yourself lucky as horses cost so darn much,monthly worming,farrier service,shots to stave off west Nile and other nasties, not to mention hay bills. If you are not fortunate enough to keep them at home then there are the boarding bills...:eek: After my horses live out their lives I am done. I am too old and too tired...;)

18. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

AF I've never known you to sit and be quiet! ! ! :D;):smuggrin::p

19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Welcome, Happy! :)

As for "alot" vs. "a lot"... somehow it seems like "alot" should be a word. Though I guess that means "a whole bunch" should be "awholebunch." And "oodles and oodles" should be "oodlesandoodles." :cool:

20. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Hey Pat, nice to "meet" you alot!

The funny thing is, I always spot misspellings when I read, guess y'all done did gots me. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted