A thead to introduce ourselves.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by clutteredcloset49, May 31, 2014.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't know that I ever introduced myself:
    I live near Seattle WA; a paralegal in my day job, I am also a professional musician in my spare time (violin, mandolin, Irish bouzouki). I'm pretty well-known as a collector of Northwest Coast Native art, and run two non-profit websites dealing with the artists in two specific villages of the Kwakiutl and Tsimshian. Interested primarily in model totem poles, 1900-1970, but also do masks, and modern prints from the NW. Have considerable knowledge of modern fakes based on NW Coast Native styles.

http://metlakatlacarvers.com
    http://blundenharborsmithinlet.com

tiny.jpg

tiny2.jpg taits6.jpg

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi @all_fakes! Gosh, I looked at your site on Blunden Harbour, brought back lots of memories. I grew up in Port Hardy in the 1960s, as kids we would go out in fishing boats and go exploring the coast.
    Mary

4. all_fakes

Nice to meet you, CX!

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Welcome, all_fakes! The totem in your hand is so delicate, and really beautiful.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi all-fakes,
    I really love the totem in your hand also. Having absolutely no exposure to NW native art it is nice to add another expert to the growing list of members.
    greg

Pat P likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Ditto. I have a friend who is a NW native, but was adopted by Anglo parents and raised here in New England. I've collected a lot of his work over the years. He makes sandstone sculptures. He's trying to reconnect with his heritage. Some day I would love to travel to the other coast.

8. all_fakes

Thanks - That little pole is a wonderful tour-de-force in the use of NW Coast forms. By (Chief) George Walkus, around 1930...Gwasilla Kwakiutl, Rivers Inlet/Blunden Harbor.
    The group photo 6 are by Eli Tait, Metlakatla Alaka, Tsimshian. Around 1940.

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi AF, thanks for joining.:happy:

10. AbbeyRose

AbbeyRose New Member

Hello, I live in Illinois. My primary focus for many years was collecting vintage clothing, but I have pretty much sold off my collection and now only buy a very few select things and then flip it when I am ready to let it go. I do buy antiques to use/decorate my home and I admit that I am probably one of the few that still enjoy the

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  11. AbbeyRose

AbbeyRose New Member

Well, I didn't finish my post last night before I was called away.
    So, what I was going to say was that I am probably one of the few that still enjoy the country antiques that were so popular 20 years ago. I don't like clutter but do like the simple, clean lines of country style.

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Welcome AbbeyRose.:happy:

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, AbbeyRose! :)

I still like English country style and have chintz-style wallpaper in a couple of rooms.

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Welcome to you both! We do use AF/Af for afantiques, so perhaps we should come up with something else for all_fakes. Lovely totem pole collection!

afantiques likes this.
  15. all_fakes

I'm used to AF for afantiques, and it doesn't confuse me.....
    You can call me Fakes, or All,
    or a_f

or Steve...
    that's Muffy in the avatar, by the way.

Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,
    Welcome to the board. I like Steve better than fakes.:D
    greg

17. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'd like to add my welcome. Great to have you aboard Steve and Abby.

I prefer "Steve" too.

18. AbbeyRose

AbbeyRose New Member

Thank you for your warm welcomes!

19. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Fakes,great to see you here,impressed with the info. you presented :cat:

Welcome Abby...:D

20. CCA

CCA aka candace9512

Hi everyone...sure appreciate the invite I got a while back about this board. For years, I mostly lurked around the old PGP board... tried to help on occassion (on the few things I thought I knew about), but mostly asked for help...and was grateful to all those who so willing shared their knowledge...not just the PGP, but also the jewelry board when I sometimes found myself with a box full of costume jewelry from an auction! So now that they've totally messed up the e-fee boards, I am thrilled to join this one! So thanks much to the administrators and members who've moved over.

I started my buying/selling pastime after I retired from the US military thinking it would be a fun, small-time, part-time thing to do...can't play golf all the time!. I've had a booth in a B&M "mall" for 8 years, and made most of my profit there by buying crappy small furniture pieces and either refinishing or painting it (which I enjoy!!), plus been a small-time seller on e-fee. (candace9512).
    When I first started, I concentrated on pottery (mostly the old Ohio ones), but have branched off to lots of things as time went on, and as I found good stuff harder & harder to get & make a reasonable profit, and more common pieces not worth much as more & more became available on efee...so it's been fun branching out & researching other things...like I've learned a little about old watches, old pocket knives, costume jewelry, etc...but would occasionally still go to the old boardie experts for help when other research failed...and everyone was pretty helpful when they knew. Now mostly I know enough about NC pottery to make me dangerous...I live near Seagrove, NC, and have my own NC pottery collection started about 8 years ago, and several reference books here & at the library I use.

As a side note: I've been reading some of the posts on this board, just to get a feel for it & the members/posters, and trying to learn how to navigate around, and sure looks like a well put together site!! with lots of nice folks. I just hope it stays that way...I quit the e-fee boards over a year ago when I posted a question on what key words to use on the technique on a piece of pottery (I knew it was some specific technique, but I just couldn't remember the word)...and got a reply from one of the experts that I "should go find a dictionary". I thought that was kind of mean, but then someone else posted a reply with the word I was looking for...but still...totally uncalled for...Plus I would read other posts where folks got really abusive & hateful to other posters, or just posted some carp to be obnoxious. So sure hope this forum can keep all that at bay!! So far I recognize lots of names from the old boards...so glad I'm here & thanks again for doing this.

Draft saved Draft deleted