Aardvark Inuit carving or casting?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I grabbed this today and got quite excited, then it dawned on me that it could be a cast of an original. Not sure how to tell. The material can be scratched with metal but I guess any originals could be soapstone and therefore also softer than metal. The base is also rough in contrast to a smooth one I found on eBay. What do you reckon?

IMG_20231202_144040_copy_1048x1398.jpg IMG_20231202_144027_copy_1159x1545.jpg IMG20231202142422_copy_1365x1023.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Definitely cast. You can tell by the way the name is in the mold and the bubbles seen on the bottom.

Boland, komokwa, Houseful and 5 others like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Okay thanks Brad. Gutted :depressed:

judy likes this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Right. This is from one of the casting companies. I believe it is basically plaster, and likely also has a thin coat of resin for gloss and hardness; sometimes a thin coat of talc - powdered soapstone - was applied to bring out the details.

komokwa and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

I had come to the conclusion that it was some sort of aggregate rather than resin as it feels pretty hard and cold to the touch. That said, the base can be marked with a metal implement.

Draft saved Draft deleted