abebooks.com no images frustrating

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dave Whaling Books, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Why don’t the majority (a lot ) of abebook sellers include images in their listings? That’s why I tend to buy a lot more from eBay, even if the ebay seller isn’t as “knowledgeable” about the book, if they have half a dozen or more high-quality images that’s better than a text only description. With images of the spine, copyright page, plates, text, etc., I can make an informed purchasing decision. Text only not so much.

Where else do people like to shop for books online?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Of course you can always ask the sellers for additional info.

Many of those who do show photos use stock images.

Here's a particular example: 32 listings, 30 of them using the same stock photo that shows a torn dust jacket:
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bsi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=17&tn=brancacci fresco cycles&prevpage=2

The descriptions are frequently of little help either. There are many sellers whose descriptions suggest little more than 'might be a good copy... might not be'.

The few titles I've compared between Abebooks and Amazon have been much less expensive on Abebooks. eBay is another source, but I've rarely seen any advantage to buying there.

Shipping costs often kill the deal.

There was something I wanted to buy on Abebooks (an impulse buy so not important). I thought the shipping was higher than necessary, but decided I'd buy anyhow. After I made the purchase, the dealer came back to me to say shipping wasn't high enough and I'd have to pay an additional 50%. That killed the deal which, fortunately, died quietly.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    McAdder and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Interesting... I have had tremendous luck on eBay. Sometimes the seller doesn't even know what they have (books not being their expertise). But with high-res pictures you can figure out what they do have and grab a title for a fraction of ABE or auction houses. Then again, sometimes you find the same book, same edition and condition ranging from $20 to $160 on eBay. But that's all part of the fun of the hunt!

Fid and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The same pricing discrepancy is true on Abebooks. I usually search highest-price-first and all I can say is that I wish the market was that robust. I'd start selling! Not at all unusual to find a highest price 20X or more than the lowest for the same edition, and nothing to indicate any significant difference in condition or any other mitigating factor.

Jivvy, McAdder and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

same reason a lot of folks balk at posting pics of their expensive items here...

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Amazon owns Abebooks - it was "acquired" in 2008. So go figure...not well known, apparently, I just saw this recently myself. I have gotten books from Alibris in the past but they are often without images as well unless you ask.

Most books were fine, a couple not. "Thriftbooks", I think the name, 2 from them, had stickers on the spines (seriously) and shipped in a single thin plastic bag - and very late (went from warehouse to warehouse, state to state - very bizarre tracking). Luckily not high buck purchases but I complained.

Last decade or so I've used a local used book store but unfortunately they are going out of business this month due to online competition. I was happy to pay a few dollars more to actually hold the book before buying as well as supporting local small businesses.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HA!!!!! Talk about being in the dark, I just found out that Amazon owns Whole Foods ......it’s getting to be......WHAT DOESN’T Amazon own!!!!!!!??? Sorry....a bit off topic......food not books:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

WHAT DOESN’T Amazon own!!!!!!!
    whatever Google , Facebook & eBay own

judy, Ghopper1924 and McAdder like this.
  9. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

If I buy modern books, I don't need pictures, I usually buy the cheapest, shipping included, if everyone would take photos of every cheap book, the sellers would have to raise prices.

I buy old books from Ebay, and of course I look at the pictures, but they can be as deceiving as text. Even those Ebayers that "don't know what they have" are sometimes professionals who know exactly how to write the description and take photos to get your hopes up without promising anything. And bids go higher, if a couple of people have the feeling they know more than others...
    Most of the books I buy are complete on google books or other platforms, so I only need pictures of the defects, the binding and so on. If I contact sellers on Abebooks vialibri or any other platform, I always get the photos i want and sometimes even a better offer.

moreotherstuff, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

brainfood

McAdder and judy like this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"WHAT DOESN’T Amazon own!!!!!!!???"

Amazon. A subsidiary of the Ramjac corporation*

*See Kurt Vonnegut :)

persona-non-gratin, Fid and judy like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You can also use a site like biblio.com or bookfinder.com (there are others). I've used bookfinder a lot. It searches other sites (not including eBay, though it does include abebooks) and brings them together in one place. I think biblio.com does that as well but I haven't used it much. It has a prettier interface than some of the other sites.

If I run across a book on eBay that I might want I always check these other sites first. I also do go directly to abebooks. I have often found less expensive options from other sites. As for the lack of pictures on the other sites, it's true that many sellers use stock images and many use no images. I also look for careful descriptions from people who sound like they know what they are doing. And, I research some of the booksellers. I don't remember ever being disappointed in buying from other sites besides eBay.

I have bought books through eBay, too. Disappointment level there can vary, but if I'm disappointed it's often my fault for missing something and not asking a question.

13. Always a shame to see a dedicated bookstore close its doors. The first rush of Amazon closed most of them, now niche online is pushing the rest out.

One thing I do enjoy is Travel Book-Shopping. Any time I am traveling for business or pleasure, I make certain to visit any used and especially Antiquarian bookshops in town.

A few weeks ago I was in Nashville and picked up a treasure at Books At Cummins Station (209 10th Ave S Suite 211, Nashville, TN 37203).

Last year while in DC I got to visit one of my all-time favorite places Second Story Books (2000 P St NW, Washington, DC 20036).

Some people travel for “Food Destinations,” I am starting to travel for “Book Destinations.” Still nothing better then exploring stacks of books that may not have been read for decades. What treasure will you find?

Ghopper1924, Fid and Figtree3 like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My favorite was the Strand Book Store in Manhattan. It has almost 2 miles of book stands. It is were I found an Alice in Wonderland with none of the pages cut. It was given to a girl in 1909 for Christmas. I do not know if she died or why the pages were never cut but it is a treasure for me. Also there I got a book on the history of New Jersey printed in 1840 in the back flap was an invitation to the dedication of the Brooklyn Bridge. Both books were under 5 dollars. I used to spend hours there.
    greg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Love it… that’s TRUE treasure hunting!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. Ghopper1924

What Fig said.

I'm so thankful that The Strand in Manhattan is still there. Just completed a major purchase with them.

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. Ghopper1924

Great article. The place is definitely a landmark. As to how that status is maintained in the future.......stay tuned. My money would be with the Landmarks Preservation Commission.

19. The Strand looks like a tremendous bookstore! On my future "Travel for Books" campaign. Thanks for sharing.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

On the Cape we have Parnassus Books in Yarmouth on Rt. 6A. You can get lost in that place. It's in the second generation.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted