About fine china....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tressie, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Tressie

Tressie Member

Hi all! So I hit the local thrift store a few times a week and I always have my eye on their teacups, saucers, plates etc.I know that Hall China can be profitable, but other than that I’m not very familiar with any of it. I read something about mikasa and went the next day and found 31 pieces for 5.00!
    What are a few of the other brands that I should be looking for?

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Tressie - Haviland Limoges, Royal Doulton, Royal Worcester are some names to look for. China, though, is tricky. Rarity can count for more than manufacturer. Look for serving pieces: platters, gravy boats, covered vegetable bowls. Folks have dinner plates, bread plates, dessert plates, tea pots etc. but many collections are missing the serving pieces. Don't buy anything chipped or cracked.

One other piece of advice - take your phone with you and check out sold listings on eBay before making any purchases. Some Hall China patterns can be good sellers but other Hall patterns can be the kiss of death. Those 31 pieces of Mikasa will sit in your garage forever if a lot of it was sold when it was new but no one wants it now. Make sure there's a market before taking it to the cash register.
    Don

Bronwen, SBSVC, Christmasjoy and 8 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I bought a gorgeous set of 1950s Haviland china for $5 as well. I stopped to look at it,it was marked $20 originally,the lady kept lowering the price till I just couldnt say no. Complete set for 6,including serving pieces,coffee pot,etc. Nobody,and I do mean nobody,wanted it,so after offering it to everyone I knew,trying to sell it online etc,I finally gave it to a thrift. China and glassware are a fun field,but like Don said,the market tanked as the younger generation wants nothing that has to be hand washed! Formal dinners are a thing of the past as well,and everybody on the planet has 2-3 sets inherited from family so theres millions of pieces out there.Up until the 60s,every lady had "good" china she got for her wedding.

Bronwen, bluumz, Christmasjoy and 7 others like this.
  4. Tressie

Tressie Member

Well, unfortunately for my husband, none of it will go into the garage I would rather hand wash these beautiful dishes than throw a bunch or crap into the dishwasher.

Silver, Bronwen, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I understand. Most of my dishes can go through the dishwasher without harm but I get very nervous about my glassware. I wash most of my good glass by hand. We have very hard water here.
    Don

Bronwen, SBSVC, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Tressie, I love good and sometimes old glass and china and like many here have bought and sold some for years, even have my Grandma's Grindley Old China which will probably go to auction when I go :(.
    You might want to look at this sellers things. They have a giant inventory keeping about 4000 listings and seem to sell things regularly. I don't know how they do it or keep up, but they do. https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_ssn=sweetnsassycollectibles&_sop=10
    Good luck with your endeavors. Patd

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Tressie like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

For buying to resell I would agree china can be tricky, I can't sell it at all. People don't want dishes that can't go in the dishwasher and microwave. As advised above, check sold listings before you buy, just because the price is low it won't be a great deal if you can't sell it!

Bronwen, SBSVC, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  8. Tressie

Tressie Member

Its all a bit sad All the good stuff is going down the tubes. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Now, now, no need to be sad. Tastes may change again. Things tend to go in cycles. At some point the Kardashians may decide formal dinners are the way to go and suddenly everything will change.:woot:
    Don

Jeff Drum, Bronwen, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

How true!! :p:p

The majority of Noritake china can't be even given away because just about every GI / wife of GI who was stationed overseas after WWII brought home a set of china after they were discharged. :jawdrop::jawdrop:

However, a few years back I was able to sell 6 Noritake Foxboro dinner plates in a 24 hour period that I had paid $55 for at an auction for over $500 because it was Oprah's pattern. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :D:D:D:D

Bronwen, SBSVC, judy and 3 others like this.
  11. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

We sell a lot of china.

Rarity helps, style helps, maker helps, age may help

Good advice above on checking ebay sold listings.

Also think how to sell. Is it to a collector (duos/trios) or a user (part services).

Quality china can sell for very good money inthe UK.

Bronwen, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Tressie

Tressie Member

Life is too short for ugly plates.

Bronwen, johnnycb09, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but short enough....for paper plates !! :hilarious:

Bronwen, johnnycb09, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Paper plates are great for pizza and making bacon. Otherwise...no. I'm with @Mansons2005 on that one.

I look for stuff in good shape that's older than dirt. Oddities. Odd markings that don't fit the mold. My set of child's play china, all serving pieces, just shipped to someone in California for over $140 more than I paid for it. Packing was a pain, but the buyer probably thinks she got a good deal. Years ago, when I still sold fragile stuff somewhat regularly, someone in the UK paid more in postage for some old plates than the plates cost themselves. (I was into them for all of $2) They weren't fancy, plain white with a gray rim, but they were from a factory in Yorkshire circa 1830. I'm guessing it was a case of filling in the pieces of Grandma's set. OTOH I donated most of the 60s Lenox giftware I bought years ago; you can't give it away now.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  15. komokwa

you can always give away paper plates..!!! ot at least recycle them ! :hilarious::hilarious:

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I HATE paper plates!!! I NEVER use them NEVER have. I have eaten at peoples houses who have never used china plates. I guess it is me.
    greg

Bronwen, SBSVC and judy like this.
  17. komokwa

I've got a set of Meissen green vine in a box ....and two other China sets.
    We use one for family....& wife.....but I mostly eat off Chinet.....
    with plastic forks......
    i just like it that way...

18. Tressie

Tressie Member

Ahhh touché

Bronwen, komokwa and judy like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I'm with you Greg, I don't every have them in my house! When we go to my MIL's house we have to use them, the cheapo, white, thin paper plates - and she reuses them :confused: I end up throwing the used ones out while she isn't looking :shame:

Tressie, Bronwen, SBSVC and 1 other person like this.
  20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I had to look for that pattern. It is quite lovely.

Tressie and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted