Abstract Paintings 2 Need help with Id if possible Thanks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

The first painting is 36" X 24 signed Art----- and may have never hung on a wall
    The second painting is 18" X 24" remind me of the Southwest signature looks like R S villager and might have sustained water damage.
    All help is appreciated
    Thanks

The first one I just got it today and the other I have had for a few years. I like the 20200820_195345.jpg 20200820_195426.jpg 20200820_195446.jpg 20200820_195553.jpg 20200820_212217.jpg 20200820_212325.jpg 20200820_212210.jpg m both.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Mugzinnys

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I quite like the second painting - nice!

Mugzinnys likes this.
  4. Mugzinnys

Thanks blooey

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

6. Mugzinnys

Yes show looks like a match Thanks sabre123

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A Filipino artist.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

8. Mugzinnys

Thanks, Debora that's his style and colors to a T. I am thinking about soaking the painting in distilled water and vinegar mixture touted online. Looks to me like water damage from a fire. Good idea or bad idea? It's such a beautiful painting I would not want to do additional damage to it. I do not like the frame at all.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, know nothing about art conservation. But I do have an opinion about the frame! I'm usually not a big fan of changing original frames because they reflect the taste of the era in which the artwork was created. But I do think the frame on Villegas work a bit ordinary and distracting. Something simpler might do a better job of showcasing it. Something like this perhaps in a lighter hue.

Debora

3c8f3d8724c7d2e2a9e7a8ff784a4ade.jpg

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    DO NOT SOAK IN WATER. It will dissolve the bottom gesso on the painting and months later the paint will begin to flake off. NEVER ever use water on a painting.
    greg

reader likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That sounds definitive!

Debora

12. Mugzinnys

Debora, Not that definitely maybe a last resource thought. I really just want to break down those minerals causing those water streaks, without damaging the painting of course. Thanks, Greg maybe soak is a bad idea, maybe just surface clean if it can be done safely with the mixture of distilled water and vinegar. Does anyoe have any idea of what it would cost to have it professionally cleaned? Can it be restored?

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Please NEVER use water on any painting it is deadly curse. If want to clean it, use saliva. That is the ONLY thing recommended by the MET in NYC. I spent three years working to save paintings and such to a fire damaged church in Brooklyn. The use of distilled water and vinegar is good to clean certain things BUT NEVER paintings. Between smoke damage and years of incense oils the sixteen paintings were in terrible shape. Thanks to my four assistants we were able to clean and and totally restore the paintings. The MET conservators gave us really valuable advice. If you decide to try the "spit test" save up a lot of your saliva in a jar in the refrigerator using cotton balls wipe a 2 inch square of salvia on a spot near an edge let it sit for 2 minutes or so and wipe it with a clean cotton ball you will be amazed at what you uncover.
    greg

reader likes this.
  14. Mugzinnys

saving spit in jar, who would have ever thought. will give follow-up on progress

Draft saved Draft deleted