Featured Adult size “romper” from early 1900s?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Shanell, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

7BD5EA51-86B4-4354-8E35-0E80238CE883.jpeg BFDC2422-3E69-4292-89C7-A4C0710648A3.jpeg D4DA2535-4DC4-4B36-8C43-EA241F2ACB9D.jpeg C4D80E81-5C2C-4A4D-B29E-CA6698A592E6.jpeg 9A718F0F-3BFF-4A05-B5CF-0ADE679FF96C.jpeg D4815700-620E-43CA-A83B-CDED811586A4.jpeg Can anyone help me with identifying and dating this garment?

There are no tags. It is in really great shape, but seems like something from the far past. It seems really well made. I have no clue, really!

It was in a tote that contained many of my grandma’s vintage aprons and some antique whites.

the mannequin is a women’s size 8
    I forgot to get a photo of the reverse side 7BD5EA51-86B4-4354-8E35-0E80238CE883.jpeg BFDC2422-3E69-4292-89C7-A4C0710648A3.jpeg D4DA2535-4DC4-4B36-8C43-EA241F2ACB9D.jpeg C4D80E81-5C2C-4A4D-B29E-CA6698A592E6.jpeg 9A718F0F-3BFF-4A05-B5CF-0ADE679FF96C.jpeg D4815700-620E-43CA-A83B-CDED811586A4.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  3. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

Thank you!!

Born2it, pearlsnblume and Debora like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It might be for night wear, given the pocket on the side for a hankie.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Shanell like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're right, given the color and decoration.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  6. evelyb30

Really thin for stinkin' hot weather and no a/c back then.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Oh Ruth, let's not be practical. LOL

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Also a "Darnitt darnitt darnitt" if the husband saw you in it. I don't see an escape hatch.(LOL)

9. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Oh, my goodness! Meant for a hot steamy summer night to be sure! I'd go just pre- 1920's on that one... yep, I think there will be buttons to be undone! Sweet piece; with no obvious signs of being worn often! LOL!

Leslie

11. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

So, I finally got a plan together on helping to sell my grandmother’s stuff!

I made a group on Facebook. (Called it Grandma’s Earthly Treasures) I invited all my family members first, so they can have first dibs if there’s anything special to anyone. Then, I will share it with the public to sell whatever doesn’t get claimed by the family first.

I am uploading albums of stuff with a base price in the album description. I think this will be the easiest way to tackle such a large amount of stuff.

I counted 100 aprons!!! It took me a couple weeks to get them all posted because I couldn’t decide the best way to do photos.

I bought a dress form from Facebook marketplace, and it became easy after that!

Born2it, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

So, 100 aprons are done… next project: doilies and dresser scarves.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

I just had a lovely time looking through all the aprons on your facebook page. A snapshot of times past. I'm very sorry for the loss of your grandma. Did she make all these? Was she a seamstress? I love this romper, curious though, for that time period would all the edging be crotchet by hand?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This certainly looks commercially made. The lace is machine-made. The embroidery looks hand-done.

Debora

Born2it, Silverlining and Shanell like this.
  15. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

Grandma is still living! She just wants to downsize in case she has to go to a nursing home someday. She doesn’t want her kids to get rid of all her stuff without having a say.

I don’t think she made most of this stuff. She is a collector. I’m staring at a queen size bed piled with my next project right now: doilies!

I am going to start another thread for those because I need help!

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Surely this item didn't belong to your grandmother? What year was she born?

Debora

17. evelyb30

Her mother more like; my grandmother at least one slip about that age and similar construction. Grandma was born in 1896. I can see why those rompers didn't get worn more than once. If that. You had to get OUT to pee!

Shanell likes this.
  18. Shanell

Shanell Active Member

No, it wasn’t hers as far as wearing it… I believe she just found it and collected it over the years. Unfortunately, her memory is spotty, so she doesn’t remember much about her collected pieces.
    She was born in 1935. Her father was a farmer, and he never wanted to go into debt, so she learned the value of holding onto things.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, timing makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Debora

20. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

I see and sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm glad she is alive and well and ready to let go of her collection. Please let her know I think it's a wonderful collection. I'm in Australia so can't purchase however I will enjoy looking at her doilies too. Big job to post them all, you're a great support to your granny.

Shanell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted