Advice for selling multicolor string of jade beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by northernridge, Feb 13, 2016.

1. northernridge

northernridge Active Member

Here is what (to me) is a very impressive string of jade—or jadeite—beads, purchased at Laurel House Antiques (consignment shop) in Marin County, CA. They measure about 48" long, and weigh an impressive 8.3 ounces, or 234 grams. The problem I'm having is that the vast majority sold on eBay seem to be selling for very little, mostly less than $10. Here is an exception:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Multi...256696?hash=item235df5f9b8:g:kFAAAOSwNphWZ0DB

Here are three closeups.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Because there's such a wide range of sold prices, my suspicion is that most of what's listed on eBay are not authentic. I know these are, because of both the weight and the fact that they are cold, in a warm house.

Any advice you can give me will so appreciated. Thank you!

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They would need to be tested,any stone/glass marble would be at room temperature after a couple of hours and could feel cold in a warm room.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Are they actually jade? They're not knotted, and decent quality jade usually is. I can't tell from here.

4. northernridge

I was surprised to find that they're not knotted. Especially in that the owner had them restrung after buying them. From my experience, I sincerely believe them to be actual jade.

5. northernridge

I neglected to show the entire string. There is such a variety of stones. No two appear to be the same.
    [​IMG]

6. northernridge

Interesting. I realized I should be researching these in my GEMSTONES OF THE WORLD. There I found a strand that looks pretty much identical to these, and they do not appear to be knotted either. (I tried—unsuccessfully—to eliminate the glare, but these pages are darned shiny, and I use natural light.) I was pleased as can be to find this similar strand on such pages. They really show the good stuff.
    [​IMG]
    I'm having trouble deciding on a starting price. Not sure my old habit of starting at 9.99 will result in the price I want to achieve. (It worked for the Tiffany though; and how!)

7. northernridge

Re: price. I just checked again and the one at top sold for $225. Even though it does have a 14K gold clasp (mine has none), it's less than half as long at 17 3/4", there are only 49 8.85mm beads, where mine has 101 at a full 9mm. So I'm thinking to set a high price for it. As always, advice is so appreciated!

8. northernridge

New question. I just photographed a bead with a ruler, and it appears to be greater than 9 mm.
    [​IMG]
    So what size do I call it? Can I just say "9mm+"?

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you could say....7/8 of an inch.....and be pretty spot on..

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

According to the ruler,,, they are 3/8ths of an inch or about 9/10 mm.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

of course you're right........I meant 7/16 ths ....:sour::sour::eek::oops::oops::oops:

Draft saved Draft deleted