Advice needed regarding early 20th-cent book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Gemma C, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Gemma C

Gemma C New Member

Hello!
    I have been reading a description of a book I have no access to and wondering if you could help me to understand the meaning of the description.
    It says that the book was made from japonned paper. What is this? I have attempted to find out on the internet but having no luck.
    Any help would be immensely appreciated!
    Thank you,
    Gemma

KingofThings likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have never heard the term. Japanned usually painted with enamel paint, Japonaise means in the Japanese style, but never japonned. More contest may help.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

All I can think of right now is that the description is referring to the covers of the book, and saying that they are made of japanned paper? Which even then doesn't sound right to me. Can you provide a link to the description? Or type what it says?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Gemma C

Gemma C New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It's not on the internet so can't send a link, but it says that its a luxury edition (of The Sink of Solitude) made of "japonned paper bound in parchment-covered boards." Quite mysterious!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Hm.... that is odd.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I wonder if it mulberry paper or even rice paper?
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Figtree3

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Figtree3

I notice that one of the listings in the search results above (the link that I listed) says that the boards are parchment. Another says they are "limp paper." Nothing mentioned japanning or japonning.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Figtree3

KingofThings likes this.
  11. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I have some celluloid coat buttons backed in japanned cardboard,black backs,brown celluloid. So maybe it means black substance on the paper?

KingofThings likes this.
  12. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

13. Gemma C

Gemma C New Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your responses! Will take a look at all those links and see if I can work it out! Thanks a million :)

14. Gemma C

Gemma C New Member

The last link on the Abe Books one is the right one, because there were only 250 editions. This sheds some light on it. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted