Featured Advice, vintage Anco Gulf wiper blade display case/holder

Discussion in 'Tools' started by tyeldom3, Jun 24, 2016.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

WTH have I done!!:bucktooth: A local old gas station has been closed for many years and they just had a yard sale because Stetson University bought the property. I bought this plastic display case that has unused wipers and parts in it. Now what do I do??:confused: I'm thinking to sell the large case on a local Clist? Do people buy old wiper blades? Do I go through each wiper and list it separately? What would you do, I'm way out of my league here. Some of the wipers are sealed in the package and some are open in the package, but are unused. gulf1.jpg gulf2.jpg gulf3.jpg
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Brenda Anna, cxgirl, Daemon and 6 others like this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

How far back in years do the various windshield wipers go? Do you see any dates (or car models/years) on those that are still in wrappers?

Cleaned up (a good washing) might make the display case more attractive to someone. I can imagine some (old) car enthusiast(s) wanting it for storage of automotive parts in a home garage. ;)

I think the storage case is sort of neat . . . and it has wheels!!!!!! :D

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Tyeldom - are you in Deland?

~ Cheryl

KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. tyeldom3

Thanks so much yourturn! Great question, I didn't realize they may have dates. I looked at some and I see 1992, 1994, and even as new as 2002. Some of them didn't have any dates that I could find.
    I just finished washing the car outside so maybe while I'm at it out there I'll go ahead and remove the contents and give it a good washing too. Thanks again. :)

5. tyeldom3

Hi Cheryl, yes :)

KingofThings likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

Grew up in South Seminole, spent a lot of time in Volusia, love it up your way...

~Cheryl

tyeldom3 and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Rubber rots just existing which is why reputable dealers will no longer mount or repair 10 year old tires.
    Sealed I doubt this makes any difference.
    If any of the wiper frames have shiny silver frames you may get something good for them on eBidet. ;) Otherwise.... Probably not worth squat other than to stay with the display which, cleaned up, may get you something on Craig's since it's too hard to ship.
    Hope you didn't pay much for it for car guys will not want it since it's so big unless they have a mock service station on their property which some do.
    A car museum may be interested as a donation.

Brenda Anna, lloyd249 and tyeldom3 like this.
  8. tyeldom3

How neat! Yes, it's a pretty interesting town.:) You are in the Orlando area right?

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  9. tyeldom3

Thanks so much King! I just filled 2 garbage bags with the contents. Many are open, and some are in sealed packages and some are just enclosed in cardboard boxes without any plastic sealing. So I guess those wouldn't be any good now?
    Also what do you mean by shiny silver frames? There are lots of frames in there. What am I looking for? LOL, Sorry I'm so clueless...:bucktooth: And how do I know what kind of cars they are for?

Also, I just gave it a quick washing with hose, Dawn dish detergent and a wash cloth.....it is sooooooo heavily soiled with grease, etc. Any ideas what to use to get it off? It really is stuck on there.
    Thanks everyone

10. tyeldom3

Also, I discovered that the little signs on the case are metal. Certainly someone would want it just for the Gulf sign right?
    Oh and found this cool price list from 1974, just thought I'd share.

aa1.jpg

Brenda Anna, cxgirl, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
  11. KingofThings

Older cars had silver frames that held the wiper. These are probably too new for that but I think those went away due to glare issues and plating which is why all are black now. Those restoring such cars would want those and may only use them for car shows.
    ~
    I would take a shot and list them all together on eBidet with the ANCO stock numbers, and that sheet, and see what happens. Maybe $2 each to start but as a group price in total.
    ~
    You should be able to cross reference those numbers on the net.
    ~
    I'd try Simple Green and let it sit for awhile with each side flat and out of the sun. Be careful it doesn't hurt any decals. Don't scrub hard or you may curl up the decal edges.
    ~
    ALL the signs would help sell it but if it doesn't then remove them ALL carefully, list them on eBidet and recycle the cabinet. If it were all metal this would likely be different.

Brenda Anna, lloyd249 and tyeldom3 like this.
  12. tyeldom3

Thanks ever so much King, much appreciated.:)
    Is this a frame?
    What are they keywords for looking up the frames on ebaaay? Thanks again

11.jpg

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

Right by Lee Road & I-4, unincorporated Orange Co., Orlando address, but closer to Winter Park.

Haven't been out your way in quite a while, usually take the 'scenic route' down 17-92, through Sanford - should stop by my old friend and early silver mentor's shop, he's in Deland, just past Orange City on Woodland, it's been way too long...

~Cheryl

lloyd249, KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  14. KingofThings

It is and actually 'arm' is better nomenclature.
    That one is not acceptable for a car show....unless it's a Rat Rod show.
    ~
    I'd try 'ANCO wiper blade and arm' with the stock #.

lloyd249 and tyeldom3 like this.
  15. tyeldom3

Thanks again King, you've been very helpful.

KingofThings, lloyd249 and komokwa like this.
  16. KingofThings

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Tye,
    My Dad worked for many years for Gulf. I love your cabinet. I remember gas was 19 cents a gallon and we got it with our discount for 14 cents. I remember getting 25 cents worth and driving all day.
    greg

18. tyeldom3

Wow! 14 cents!! Don't you wish that was the current price??!!:wideyed:
    There was a really nice painting in the shop/gas station that I wanted to buy, although it wasn't for sale:(, but it was of the gas station when it was in its prime, and had the really cool old gas pumps in the painting and it had the gas sign of 28 cents per gallon.
    There was also an old metal Gulf round sign, and someone offered the man $500. for it, and he wouldn't take it.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

When I started driving in Vegas it was 19 cents.

20. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

Another idea to clean it up is LA Awsome, get it at Dollar Tree or dollar stores. It is cheap and it works great on grease.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted