African Art on Brown Paper ?? Help Please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Peggymorn, Nov 14, 2018.

1. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Is it possible that we have a left page and a right page? The left page could be tucked in behind the right page as the position of the woman on the left does not align with the two on the right.
    Peggy, I understand what you say about being nervous taking it from its frame, but it looks like the nails would come out quite easily and it might reveal a lot about your image. Personally, I'd risk it, but that's just me. ;)
    I find the faces quite haunting and very regal. Nice find.
    And welcome to the forum. :)

kyratango and i need help like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That makes sense to me. It could be from a large format magazine like Life or Look.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If it is from a magazine, the paper is likely to be very thin and possibly fragile, which would make me nervous about removing it from the frame.

Also, if it's magazine pages, under magnification you should see a regular dot pattern.

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm not convinced that this is magazine pages, but I don't think we have enough information to make a certain judgment. When I enlarge it, it doesn't look like a magazine print (or a photo), but I can't tell what is the piece and what is the picture of the piece (if that makes sense).

temp01.jpg

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's hard to identify image types behind glass. It does look like it is based on a photograph to me. Don't know what type of printing process was used, whether it's a photographic process or some other.

I can't discern the pencil lines in the last image.

I do like it overall. If you are uncomfortable taking it out of the frame (and I would be, too), maybe take it to a professional for assessment? With that backing you can be pretty sure that it was not professionally framed.

Draft saved Draft deleted