Featured African(?) metal table(?) with nude figures

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 27, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store today; they had it sitting upside down & at first I thought it was a planter - until I noticed the figures around it were upside down!
    When I brought it home & placed it right side up, my girlfriend thought it was a plant stand? I think it may be some kind of table or pedestal to display something primitive?
    What do I have?
    Is it old or just meant to look old?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 2AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 3AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 4AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 6A_AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 5AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 6AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 7AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE AFRICAN METAL 8AA.JPG

kyratango, wlwhittier and Boland like this.
  2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

That certainly seems to be the right form - however, yours really looks to be ceramic, and not bronze, so I don't think it would be an actual Moko drum, but rather a ceramic item in the shape of a Moko drum. Not sure what the intended use would be; decor, table, plant stand?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sorry, not a real Moko drum. A souvenir or export piece, probably made on Bali or Java.

Mokos are found throughout Indonesia btw, but in most parts they are called Pejeng drums, after a giant sacred drum on Bali, called the "Moon of Pejeng" (300 BC). It is the largest single-cast kettle drum in the world.

all_fakes likes this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This looks strange because the curved side bits look more like metal and too thin to be ceramic. Which is it Journey?

all_fakes likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I think your Moko drum could have been made in Gresik, East Java. Apparently Mokos were made from the late 19th century, the same period of the revival of Gresik bronze religious statues and figurines.
    Gresik is still a bronze casting centre, and nearly all recent Javanese religious bronze replicas are made there.
    It is conceivable that your Moko drum was made there too, fairly recently. The finish is rather odd, but the Gresik bronze makers experiment quite a lot with colours.

From Michael Backman's site:

"Such drums were manufactured at Gresik in East Java from the late 19th century and were used on the Eastern Indonesian island of Alor to settle marriage-alliance gift exchanges and to be traded as currency for agricultural produce. Hundreds of mokos were introduced to Alor mostly by Bugis traders and the sudden influx proved inflationary and destabilising to the ‘currency’ and to the wider Alor economy. The Dutch authorities forbade the use of mokos as a general currency. They allowed tax payments to be settled with mokos however to try to draw as many mokos out of circulation as possible (Taylor & Aragon, 1991, p. 218). Mokos were occasionally used on Alor as musical instruments at important events. Their tops were struck with the palm of the hand."
    https://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/object/flores-javanese-kettle-currency-drum-moko/

This one looks like a carbon copy of yours, so it is probably by the same maker:
    https://www.catawiki.com/nl/l/13254...moko-drum-alor-lesser-sunda-islands-indonesia

Houseful likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Btw, don't use it as a plant stand. Water spillage can cause discoloured stains, which will lower the value.

Draft saved Draft deleted