Featured African telephone wire basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I searched but didn't see any of these that had been posted here so here's one if anyone is interested. This was quite dirty, but the telephone wire cleans up really nicely with a bit of soapy water. Think it is not recent production, but I don't know when these were first made so can't figure a time range. Foot on the basket, which I haven't seen online.
    Anyone run into these before?
    P8312887.JPG P8312888.JPG P8312889.JPG P8312890.JPG P8312891.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The foot's a little different, and I'm gonna say makes it of a more recent manufacture,,,
    I was looking for a nice one of these 20 years ago.....and u know from a search that they can get really funky in their color make up and swirling designs...

By far one of the coolest repurposing of material......!!!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely!:)

@Taupou , @2manybooks ?:)

Jeff Drum, Bronwen, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

There are examples of telephone wire basketry being made in southern Africa at least by the 1950s. And there is an older tradition of using plain copper wire to weave decorative coverings seen on handles and other objects from the 19th century. They are made by Zulu weavers, as well as other groups in the region.

Some wire baskets are made by starting in the middle and working outward toward the top. The faster method is to begin by wrapping all of the wires around a heavier wire rim, and weaving toward the center, often working over a mold. This may lead to a lump at the center where the wires converge. The indented foot on yours is a nice way to address this problem.

I think yours is comparatively recent, but I don't know if there is a more precise way to date them, perhaps based on colors available.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

classic wire wrap Zulu Knobkerrie...

upload_2020-9-1_12-8-56.jpeg

and now......

upload_2020-9-1_12-9-56.jpeg

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WHOA!!!! WHO KNEW!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::):) VERY KEWEL!!!

patd8643, J Dagger and Jeff Drum like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted