African tribal mask (Congo?)

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by ZvnZvn, Oct 20, 2021.

1. ZvnZvn

ZvnZvn New Member

6DC26272-2AD2-40B4-AF36-30F11DF0B4C6.jpeg 84C023F8-5266-4FF4-A1A6-A29D6BF37DFC.jpeg 7C0FE7FF-01FE-474F-868A-FE70D8968AAD.jpeg 01BF3D20-A196-4C35-9D84-41278682C171.jpeg Hey guys, first time posting here.
    I need help identifying this tribal mask/helmet. It features two horns, a thread along the outline with seashells attached and on the back there’s a woven fabric to insert your head into. On the right side there’s a rope attached with 5 animal fangs.
    I have a feeling that it’s from Congo, or somewhere around there.
    It is worn, and pretty roughed up. It is also unevenly carved and the horns are almost falling off. They are nailed to the wood. So is the woven fabric.
    The whole mask is made of wood which looks like it’s been burnt(?)

If you have any idea or information to share, please help me out. I have a feeling it’s been worn before, and if that’s the case, how authentic is it?
    Thanks guys!
    (I don’t know how to insert all pictures, but look at my profile for the media album.)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Potteryplease and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't recognize it from any specific tribe........

how can you tell it was worn?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-10-20_10-0-37.jpeg
    maybe Ghana.....but the horns are backward..

upload_2021-10-20_10-4-58.jpeg

maybe some carvers idea of a ram mask.......???

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not something I immediately recognize. It will take a bit of poking around, which I may not have time for today. But it does not have the typical look of objects made for sale, which rarely bother with the cloth fittings. Being vigorously danced could explain the condition as well.

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Right side up..... LOVE the shell teeth!!! AND, WELCOME to the SITE, @ZvnZvn !!!

01BF3D20-A196-4C35-9D84-41278682C171.jpeg

Potteryplease and 2manybooks like this.
  7. ZvnZvn

ZvnZvn New Member

Some additional information I gathered:
    1. The fangs are not fangs, they’re claws, presumably from a large cat-like animal.
    2. The horns are able to be turnt so that they’re also in a upright position. That might be because of the terrible wear that’s happened to them and the nails.
    3. The “eyes” are not see-through, which makes me believe it’s not a mask(?). This is my first time ever to be in contact with a tribal mask and the like so don’t take my word for it haha.
    4. The mask seems to have been repaired at one point, due to rope/string being wrapped around the base of the horns. Also, the metal ring around the “teeth” of the mask is 100% handmade. (Irregular shape and heatmarks.)
    5. The mask smells really bad. There’s dirt all over, and on the inside walls, there’s been both scratches and some form of liquid marks (sweat?).

Oh, and I don’t think I told you, the whole piece is made out of wood, except the woven part on the back.
    If you have any other questions I will try my best to answer. Sorry for my English ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Not all masks have eye-holes; some cultures have dances where the masks are worn "blind."
    But I'm not very familiar with African masks and dances, so can't address this specific one.

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is helpful to know that the horns might have originally been upright. But I have not been able to find any examples that closely compare to your mask. My feeling, based on the general style, is that it may be from the region of interior West Africa (the conjunction of Mali, Burkina Faso, and Ivory Coast), where peoples such as the Bamana/Bambara, Senufo, Bobo and Bwa have traditions of animal masks. Such masks often combine features of different animals. In this case, it may be a combination of hyena and buffalo.

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted