African wooden carving of man in chains / slave

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by aaroncab, Feb 8, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Picked this carving up this evening. . 15 1/2" (39cm) tall. There is some glue residue on the base from an old piece of felt that I removed. My pics make it look substantially glossier/shinier than it is in person because of the bright lights i placed around it.

Assuming the wood is a type of African ebony?

I found a few similar carvings online:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-20th...Slave-Man-Chains-Shackles-1900s-/192793762825

https://www.loveantiques.com/miscellaneous/tribal/rare-african-slave-in-chains-carving-c1800-111700

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/black-hardwood-hand-carved-african-1828538962

All the same basic form, posture, placement of chains, etc.... Is this a common form of carving for the tourist trade? Does it come from a particular area and/or people? Also Thanks again for looking!

47023718671_0f5936561c_odev.jpg 40059161103_3e9c7b4599_odev.jpg 33148532568_0316b6b5ce_odev.jpg 46110047585_86ec05c077_odev.jpg 40059158973_0bbccaf45f_odev.jpg 33148534208_83e2a91184_odev.jpg 40059158133_fc5546aa82_odev.jpg 40059159583_39a0375fcb_odev.jpg 46110050795_b8699c673e_odev.jpg 46299823274_d1739f175e_odev.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not a wood I'm familiar with...
    not a carving I've seen....
    not a tourist item I'd want to be seen with...

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

4. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

For me the links are very interesting to show that everybody can try to sold about everything for so many $ than somebody can think it worth that…
    The wood is coming from a near certainly endangered specie, made for tourist having some culpability about slavery and thinking they can have some good stars at the end if they give money for that sculpture to an african guy, the last words by komokwa are exactly the right thing to say.
    Sometimes I buy those items for 2-5$ just to make something nice with the wood.
    And it has no more than 20 years in my opinion then it shock me about the slavery question.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And the extremely sad thing is, there is still large scale slavery in parts of Africa, as there has been for thousands of years.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Ebony usually has a dark heartwood, and lighter colored sapwood. The speckled/streaked appearance of this wood is unusual. It may be Dalbergia melanoxylon - "African blackwood" (which is not an ebony, but often mistaken for it).
    [​IMG]

The CITES description says in rare cases it occurs with streaks of dark and light wood, particularly in timber from Mozambique. https://www.delta-intkey.com/citeswood/en/www/fabdamel.htm
    This would be consistent with the carving being made by a Makonde carver.
    It is supposed to be a protected wood species.

7. aaroncab

My purchase was more of a curiosity than anything as I had never seen this depiction in a carving before, and was wondering if it was typical to see these marketed at tourists or if it was more of a traditional image. Not that it is pleasant to look at or think about. Also was curious about the wood. I didn't pay much and won't resell.

8. komokwa

That's fair enough.
    The wood , would have drawn me to it ... just cuz I love wood !
    But , selling it to someone who would enjoy owning it....is not a crime.
    Only, with all the stank goin on down in Virginia......I'd sell it on the down low. ;)

9. aaroncab

I'm certainly shaking my head daily at the circus our state government has become. I'm a native Virginian, and love my state, but it's all just very shameful.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe Port Ouidah, Benin.
    Beyond, Sad.

11. komokwa

Yes , it's a bad circus, at the wrong time.
    I'm glad I'm not someone in a public position....who's faults & actions of 30 to 40 years ago could be dredged up and used against the man I am now !!!!

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I was in second grade I went as Aunt Jemima on Halloween. I am glad that I am not a politician or I would have to kill off 20 some people to run for office.:eek::eek::eek::eek::):)
    greg

13. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

This is a good manner to take this item.
    In the past I've studied and after that wrote about slavery with the trade of some material used for the return of the ships to europe, slavery in africa as in certain asian country is millennial as said before, there is an interesting particularity to give as a precision in the discussion, as many other representations, african people don't show this aspect in their traditions, they can show slaves as the egyptians made for certain ceremonies for example(related to this page), but never like that which is a Judaeo-christian point of view of the slaves themselves.
    And as all afro-american works of art made politically or not against slavery have to be considered with respect and preserved, those items sold on the web for such prices and with those fantasist descriptions are just indecent.

Draft saved Draft deleted