Age and maker of silverplate pen tray? Victorian?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Sedona, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. We’ve had this tray (I presume it’s a pen tray) in the family for years, and no one knows where it came from or how long we’ve had it. I have no other matching desk items. We once had a relative who used to enjoy buying antique English items, so my guess is that this was purchased by her in Los Angeles about 30 years ago.

It is slightly raised on one side. It looks to be machine made silver plate. I didn’t want to aggressively clean it with silver polish. The silver plate is in very good condition, and hasn’t come off as I’ve seen on other pieces. So, my guess is that, although it’s old, it didn’t have a hard life.

There is a “T.O.” underneath but, other than that, no discernible maker’s mark.

What appears to be the age? Victorian era? As for the maker, English?

What do you call this design? Baroque? There’s some nice engraving on the inside of the tray.

I keep it fairly close to our front door, and keep hand held flashlights in it, for going for walks, so we are definitely using it.

Thanks! IMG_6471.jpeg IMG_6472.jpeg IMG_6473.jpeg IMG_6474.jpeg IMG_6475.jpeg

moreotherstuff and laura9797 like this.
  2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

3. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

That one looks more refined than the one I have. So, English Victorian era? I wonder what the T.O. stands for.

laura9797 likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Thomas Oakley

Marote, komokwa, Sedona and 2 others like this.
  5. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Thank you!

Marote and komokwa like this.