Featured Age and origin of glass cruet or vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this was originally a cruet or vase? I have no idea of it's age, maker, or country of origin and would appreciate any info. Thanks... :)

amberVaseCruet01.jpg amberVaseCruet02.jpg amberVaseCruet03.jpg amberVaseCruet04.jpg

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Measurements would help. I am thinking decorative dust collector from Mexico.

judy and Pat P like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, George. I was wondering if it might be Mexican... it reminds me of glassware in a store in Greenwich Village in the '60s that sold a lot of Mexican items.

As for measurements, I think it's about 6" tall. I photographed it a few weeks ago and now can't find where I put it, which has me feeling pretty stupid. The fun of getting older! :rolleyes:

Below is another amber piece, one of two that I have, that I assume *is* a cruet and maybe older vintage or antique? They both have the same stoppers, but I don't know if they're original or a marriage.

I don't have measurements for this one, either, but I think it's no more than about 3" or 4" tall.

amber-cruet01.jpg amber-cruet02.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I would think vintage 60s or 70s.

judy likes this.
  5. George Nesmith

Is that handle attached or part of the mold?

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I found where I'd put both pieces on a shelf in the basement. I had a headache last night and couldn't even remember correctly that I'd taken the photos a few months ago and not a few weeks ago. Duh!

The first piece is about 7-1/2" tall and the second one is about 5" tall with the stopper.

@Ghopper1924 Were you referring to the first piece I showed or the second?

@George Nesmith I hope these new closeups help (please excuse the dust!). The top part of the handle looks like maybe it was part of the mold? I'm new to learning about glass so don't know the things to look for.

amber-cruet04.jpg amber-cruet03.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

First is Spanish recycled glass oil bottle, I'll lay odds. Probably came in an olive wood holder.

Pat P likes this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The first one.

Pat P likes this.
  9. George Nesmith

Handle was applied. I think older gut no idea whose.

Pat P likes this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

@Ownedbybear Could be, though George's thought of Mexican seems right to me based on what I've seen in the States in years past. I didn't think about an oil bottle... interesting idea.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

@George Nesmith Ah, so I guess for it to be part of the mold the handle and body need to look more integral, with a smoother transition? I have a lot to learn!

Would it be safe for me to say the small cruet is antique (i.e., before 1920)? I'm also wondering if it was common to use clear stoppers in colored glass cruets?

12. George Nesmith

Collectors worry more about stoppers than manufactures and retails did. I am not comfortable using more than Vintage for this.

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll just call the pair "vintage." Thanks for the all of the info. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted