Age of brass bed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by baileybae, Aug 3, 2021.

1. baileybae

baileybae Active Member

Thinking of buying this brass bed. Advertised as antique, early 1900s. Is this accurate? TIA

175940665_10158379199789151_2235117700623037397_n.jpg 175717634_10158379199794151_6782123290839410759_n.jpg 176319664_10158379199809151_2189459216722849005_n.jpg

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not accurate. still available brand new. especially in Italy.

wiscbirddog likes this.
  3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Even with those old-type rails and slots? Are repros still made that way?

Pat Dennis likes this.
  4. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

I had 5 of these brass beds in my house in the '70s when they were very trending. There was a popular TV show that had a fancy antique brass bed. It looks to be complete and antique...IMO. The good thing is it looks to have been professionally polished and lacquered. Back then, it cost a pretty penny because the head and footboards were taken apart, polished, lacquered, and reassembled. Often, you had to have a mattress made because many were not a standard size. It's a real find as many are/were missing pieces.

baileybae likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

yes, the system is boringly simple but effective.:)

6. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

I never had the $$ to have mine professionally polished/lacquared. Because I had stripped off the lacquer, I could keep them polished with 0000 steel wool.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

why not going for powdercoating to fit the color of your room ?

8. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

My kids are grown and I ran my husband off, so the beds were no longer needed and have new owners. :happy::happy:

Fid likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nothing made like this new available in the US to my knowledge. Use a magnet on the upper areas to see if solid or plated.

baileybae and DragonflyWink like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help but I have a question...this attachment circled in red is meant to hold the rail, right? Is this the right kind of hardware that would be on an antique bed? Just wondering.

BrassBedCU.jpg

baileybae and James Conrad like this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Good question and the answer is, I don't know! :p
    Guesses it is though based on that "Hitch" bracket which appears to be cast iron and it's my understanding that various types of those cast-iron brackets stopped being made around 1917.
    https://www.cathousebeds.com/tag/side-rails/

BrassBedCUR.jpg

Make that 1914 from the above site

"From the days when Lincoln was in office and Billy the Kid roamed the wild west to when two brothers named Wilbur and Orville took to the skies at Kitty Hawk, and when President Woodrow Wilson announced our entry into the 1st World war, iron beds offered people the handmade craftsmanship and quality they had come to expect from their era. In 1914 the United States entered the 1st World War, bringing to a close the production of iron bed framesdue to our countries overwhelming need of all available iron for armaments and the war effort."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Ghopper1924, baileybae and komokwa like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is exactly the type you would expect to see on an antique bed.

14. baileybae

baileybae Active Member

Well I went for it and glad I did. The bed is amazing and it is antique, after being able to see it in person. It is brass and not plated, it is super heavy too. It was at some point professionally polished and sealed, a bonus! Best part is I got is for a great price. Love it :)

15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

CONGRATS!
    Yes, seeing it in person is really the only way to confirm that a piece is antique, not sure why but the camera often misses details that are easy to see in person.

baileybae, Houseful and Ghopper1924 like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful antique bed. Well done!

Draft saved Draft deleted