Featured Age of this bodice 18th c?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by baileybae, Jan 24, 2021.

1. baileybae

baileybae Active Member

A most interesting bodice. It looks 18th century to me, late, early? No closures in the front, no lacing. Not sure how it was worn. It is all hand sewn. Any opinions? Thanks :) s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think 18th century too. Looks hand embroidered. Are flowers tarnished silver thread? Wheredjagetit?

Debora

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    TraceyB likes this.
  3. baileybae

baileybae Active Member

There is metallic thread all over it, gold and silver. This was an online auction find, from London.

TraceyB and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Curious then. How did the seller describe it? This article refers to something similar as a waistcoat. It is finished with similar binding. I'd assume -- but may be wrong -- that it was pinned.

https://www.vintagetextile.com/new_page_532.htm

Debora

1822.jpg

TraceyB, Any Jewelry and baileybae like this.
  5. baileybae

baileybae Active Member

They described it as a bodice. They were not sure of the age.

TraceyB likes this.
  6. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

I love this, very interesting & beautiful. ❤️Maven

Aquitaine, TraceyB and baileybae like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is, isn't it?

Debora

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

To think this was sewn by hand. Boggles the mind that once such skills were commonplace . It is lovely,and I bet tiny too !

9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

OH my goodness, it is lovely.

It has certainly been well-cared-for if it was made in the 1700s (18th century).

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, bailey. I agree, 18th century.
    It would have had a row of hook-and-eye closures, which looked much like the hook-and-eyes we know now.

12. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! Goodness... that is SPECTACULAR! Love it! The fabric is so very pretty and the workmanship! Wow! I have to agree with all of you... yes, late 1700's... and it makes sense to me that it may have had a row of hook and eye closures. Is there any evidence that it was worn "as it is"? I don't see any perspiration stains or wear from the photos. The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps it was used wearing a belt; but age wise that doesn't cut it.

What a lovely lovely piece!
    Enjoy!
    Cheerio, Leslie

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Does it appear to have been worn? Perhaps it was never finished?

Draft saved Draft deleted