Featured Age / origin and how to clean a embroidered clutche

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Hi2022, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Hi Antiquers
    I have a day off so I thought I'd take a few pictures and share with you;)
    I bought this evening bag about 3 years ago but haven't been able to wear it yet:(.

I would like to know who made these clutches and when? is the embroidered with the normal luster thread or with the silver thread?

there is a loose wire. how do you fix something like that and how do you clean it?:nailbiting:
    thanks in advance and greetings 20220105_131905_copy_1209x953.jpg 20220105_132457_copy_1152x1152.jpg 20220105_132148_copy_1152x1152.jpg

kyratango, dude and judy like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The Kane-M fastener company page states they were established in 1983, and they're still in existence, of course.

dude and Hi2022 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As above. Those were Indian imports in the 1980s. Sold in department stores so unlikely to be silver thread.

Debora

dude and Hi2022 like this.
  4. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Thanks. How can i cleane it? The wires looks a bit dirty

dude likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, these bags are done in Zargozi work and have been made for decades in, yes, silver thread. Let's wait for someone more knowledgable (like @Anyjewelry) to come along with additional/better information.

Debora

kyratango, dude and Hi2022 like this.
  6. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Thank you @Debora , in the meantime i'll look at what zagozi work is

dude likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Indian bullion work. Sometimes, older ones are actually silver thread, but this is as Debora rightly says, more modern. All I ever do with the embroidery is use a soft brush to remove dust. One of those sticky brushes or sticky tape to bring back the velvet.

If you're really careful the tiniest bit of superglue to fix the thread. Otherwise, stitch it in place with that clear plastic thread.

Born2it and Hi2022 like this.
  8. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

. I dont see any plastic threat. Do you mean the cotton thread under the wires?
    maybe a few close ups helps 20220105_185306-0_copy_432x960.jpg 20220105_185411-0_copy_432x960.jpg 20220105_185428-0_copy_432x960.jpg 20220105_185437-0_copy_432x960.jpg 20220105_185543-0_copy_432x960.jpg

komokwa and antidiem like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think Ownedbybear means for you to use plastic thread (like fishing line filament), to secure it with a stitch of plastic thread.

I want to ask what kind camera / lens did you use to get your wonderful close ups?

Born2it and Houseful like this.
  10. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Aha.. ty for the clarification. It makes sense.:playful:

I use an app called magnifier camera . No lens nothing only the app:happy:

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do indeed mean that you should use a few stitches of clear plastic thread to hold down the loose silver thread. This sort of thing:

antidiem and Hi2022 like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

For iphone or android? Free or is there a cost?

Hi2022 and antidiem like this.
  13. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

bluumz and antidiem like this.
  14. antidiem

Hi2022 likes this.
  15. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

On an IPhone there is an app called Magnify - this key top was shot at 10x with it.
    IMG_0468.jpg

Born2it, bluumz and Hi2022 like this.
  16. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

nice close-up ;)

17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

18. antidiem

Thanks, I like it :)

Hi2022 likes this.
  19. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Cool item!
    I found this article on the net... I can't vouch for how it works... apparently, it was posted on a military site.

"Very easy and natural.
    Here's what you need:
    2 soft bristle tooth brushes
    Cream of tartar (large container)
    1. Dry brush the bullion and try to clean any dust, dirt or debris off the item before you try and clean it.
    2. Get the tooth brush wet and then sprinkle the cream of tartar on the item to be cleaned. You want to gently scrub with the tooth brush until you create a paste with the cream of tartar and the water.
    3. Keep adding equal amounts of water and the tartar and keep scrubbing in either a circular motion or with the grain of the bullion. Don't scrub too hard. remember the bullion thread is delicate. Go through it patiently and take your time.
    4. Rinse the tartar off the bullion to evaluate your work. Repeat the process as needed.
    5. When you get the desired luster or brilliance back, rinse the bullion to get as much of the tartar off. When you are done rinsing then blot to bullion with a paper towel until you soak up the excess water and let it air dry. Do not blow dry it, dry in the direct sun. In a day or two the insidnia will be dry and you will have brought back the original luster in your insignia.
    Caveat! This will not work on all bullion insignia! Do your research, some bullion thread was electroplated silver on brass or copper, if the oxidation is too far gone, you may not want to use this method since the silver may have already oxidized off the insignia.
    Try this method on a test piece first till you get the hang of the process then move your way up to a piece that you would like to clean.
    A good way to determine if you are willing to try this method is to look at the bullion thread with a 10x jeweler's loop. you may be able to see if the thread has any copper or brass in it. If it does, it may not shine up as you may think."

I have also HEARD... I don't know how true or effective it is... OR how it may effect the fabric.

I think I would try HARD not to get any on the velvet (?)!

Anyway, I've heard that ammonia could work.
    If it were me... I think I'd try a drop of ammonia on a q-tip, barely damp, and try a little daub of the q-tip on an inconspicuous spot on the silver embroidery.

IF, it seems to be working... I'd repeat in very small circles and rinse off the ammonia well with another slightly damp soapy q-tip - and rinse and dry - then move on to another spot.

Should you try it... let us know if either method works!

Cheerio,
    Leslie

Hi2022 and antidiem like this.
  20. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Thread that metal thread through the eye of a yarn needle and then using the needle to stitch and wrap the metallic thread around the area where it comes from until there is just about an inch left. Then, push the needle through the last place you stitched and and pull the needle out at some point that leaves the rest of the metallic thread under all of the embroidery work. The, I would use my set of miniature vacuum cleaner pieces (bought at Home Depot) on my regular vacuum with the adapter piece to make the small attachments fit. Use the brush piece to vacuum everything, including the velvet, and then the crevice piece to get around the edges and creases of the embroidery. That should take care most of the lose and old dust and dirt. Then, get one of those silver polishing mits or gloves, usually available where antiques, jewelry, coins, and silver are sold or order online, put it on your hand and gently find an area to start polishing. Rub the area gently so as not to break any threads. If the area starts to shine, then use it gently all over the embroidered area. In tight areas or creases, put a pointed cotton swab inside the mit holding the swab with your hand and gently rub the creases and tight areas. You will see the area on the glove start to turn dark if it is working. Do not worry about the mit turning dark, that is the tarnish that was removed. You can use the glove or mit over and over again, but do not wash it. Buy a new one.

Draft saved Draft deleted