Featured Age/origins Victorian ruby ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LimePuddin, Nov 29, 2022.

1. LimePuddin

LimePuddin New Member

Hi. I just bought this. Victorian era circa 1860? The ring has this hallmark (makers mark?) The letter "P". I searched, and searched, and searched, but couldn't find an exact match. Of course wear and my untrained eye may be seeing it differently. What does this 'p' indicate? The year it was made? Or who/where it was made. On an aside, Bergen was used in the description. Any significance to this? Thank you for any info that can be supplied. Screenshot_20221124_004546.jpg 20221129_185709.jpg

elarnia, KSW, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It would be a date letter. Given the wear to the marks, I can see it as possibly a lower case a, rather than a P. With nothing much left except the shape of the cartouches, this is a challenge. Welcome, BTW. Are you in Britain?

KSW and kyratango like this.
  3. LimePuddin

LimePuddin New Member

Thank you. No. I'm in the US. The jeweler stated it as a 'p'. Depending on how I look at it, I see a d or a p. ‍♂️. I can see a lower case a now. lol

Bronwen likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I'm seeing a "d" 1959 London.

upload_2022-11-30_0-18-5.png

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

can't help you but I like the ring and welcome to antiquers!

6. LimePuddin

LimePuddin New Member

So. Now I'm sorely disillusioned. I bought this ring based on my misguided assumption that rings from 100 plus years ago would be unique. Not mass produced as they are today. If I buy a ring at Box Store Jewelers, every other hand in America will have an identical ring. I just did an image search and easily found six jewelers in England selling thus, or very, very similar rings. Dating from 1850ish to the early 1900s. smh I was hoping I bough a unique piece for my fiancé. Not something "common". Can anyone offer info to make me feel better Thanks for the replies so far.

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Every thing can be made even using dies made over 100 years ago.See link for just one maker.... https://hugokohl.com/

kyratango, Dessert58 and Bronwen like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not about you. Is a "unique piece" important to your fiancée? (Note the correct spelling for a woman engaged to be married. A man engaged to be married is a fiancé.)

Debora

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    kyratango and IvaPan like this.
  9. LimePuddin

LimePuddin New Member

Thanks for the spelling correction. The uniqueness is my request. She's special and deserves something that speaks to that. We're 60ish and I want to do this for her.

10. Hollyblue

If you wanted something unique,design it yourself or go through a company which does custom work,example.... https://www.custommade.com/custom-rings/

IvaPan likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Failing that, take her hunting in a good antique store. Crazy stuff shows up there, and if nothing else you can get some ideas.

kyratango, Dessert58 and IvaPan like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You're 60ish, the ring is 60ish, that's something. Does she especially like rubies, or is it her birthstone (July), or are you planning to marry in July?

The sentiment behind it seems more important to me than the ring itself. Look what you just said in a public forum for all the world to see. :)

kyratango and IvaPan like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

does she love you?
    my wife would have accepted a rubber band with a blue glass marble glued to it......

it's a lovely ring....but it means nothing without the feelings to go with it !

don't overthink it,,,,,,, you chose well !!

if u absolutely need a one off...do what Holly suggests...

14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looking at the detail, I doubt this ring to be antique, but that's not a problem.
    I'm not sure if this particular ring can be resized or not with that half moon setting?
    My best suggestion: be sure it is her size before you buy it.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

What is a half moon setting?

kyratango likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bless you, aren't you lovely.

Mass production, if you can call it that, has been around in the UK for centuries. Settings like this were made in the gold quarter in Birmingham, then jewellers chose the stones to be used.

I'm disagreeing with davey on the date. The London 1959 is too slanted back and the cartouche shape is wrong, although those can vary. This looks like Birmingham 1902 to me, with the d tail bent over. That would explain the amount of wear and a Birmingham maker is probably more likely.

kentworld and IvaPan like this.
  17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

To me the mark next to the "d" looks like a very worn flat Leopards head which would indicate London rather than an anchor for Birmingham.

upload_2022-11-30_10-13-22.png

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

The d is wrong though: I'm looking at both Jacksons and Bradbury, and it's italic.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have a victorian blister pearl ring and there are at least two others online with same wire design but different stone shape. Since ring settings are often cast, the jeweler could make more than one identical.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Exactly - the settings were factory made.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted