Featured Ahhh, Help! Vintage Jewelry Overload

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I had the fortune of dropping by a thrift store today that recently received a huge box of antique jewelry. The question is, should I go back there tomorrow and buy the entire box? Please help me identify these and give me your advice: is it worth going back? Did I get a good price?

This haul for $35:
    5 Victorian (?) beaded patches
    1 Limoges France brooch
    3 Misc. pins
    Two small buckles (missing some stones)
    1 shell cameo marked 2G800 (Can't find anything online except a pair of earrings on Worthpoint)
    Winged woman random piece
    Sterling chain bracelet ($5)
    GF Sterling Bracelet by Dunn Brothers ($5)
    Victorian circle pin (no marks. Has rose-gold and silver-toned metal. I think it might be Sterling?)
    Unusual star (Magen David?) pendant
    thumbnail (25).jpg thumbnail (26).jpg thumbnail (27).jpg thumbnail (28).jpg thumbnail (29).jpg thumbnail (30).jpg thumbnail (31).jpg thumbnail (32).jpg thumbnail (33).jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I only do cameos. Would not advise anyone to buy this one at any price, either to own or to sell.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm thinking there's money to be made there;)....& tomorrow may be too late....:oops:

Christmasjoy, judy and Barn Owl like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The cameo appears to be about 1920 or so. Nice, but not an expensive piece. I'd have it priced around $30 -35.
    The limoges pin is later maybe 1950s - 70s. Again nice, but not high value, maybe only about 15 - 20.
    That's what I would mark for my clientele in Northern CA.

1. Looks interesting 1930s - 40s Need to see it better.
    2. Looks damaged, I think I would have passed.
    3. Look Victorian. Interesting. Might have some interest to people who make clothing of that time period.

The Sterling bracelet I would probably mark higher. I can't see the bangle bracelet too well. Looks later 1970s - 80s. I might be wrong, as it is too dark to see.
    Bar pins and circle pins are a hard sell for me.
    What is the angel with wings? A pin?

For $35 I think you did ok. You should be able to get your money back and make a small profit. Did you score any earth shaking piece, I'm sorry to say I don't think so.

upload_2017-12-1_18-57-18.png

Should you go back? Was there something there that caught your interest and you couldn't decide? Was what you bought what you considered to be the best pieces?
    I'd only go back if you thought they might put more out, or if there was something niggling at your brain. Although these are nice, there is nothing earth shattering here.

Christmasjoy, Joan, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. komokwa

I'd go back for more silver at those prices !

Christmasjoy, judy and Barn Owl like this.
  6. Barn Owl

Why?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Barn Owl

I hope not. :wideyed:

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Poorly carved, probably 1950s, common type, shell & 800 silver virtually no value in themselves, small. Most that can be said of it is that it appears to be in good condition, but photos do not allow for a thorough assessment of this. Everything can be forgiven except poorly carved.

This small shell cameo is not in perfect condition & has no setting at all. Worth having because the scene has life, the figures are well proportioned & it is signed by Luigi Michelini, putting it to the first half of the 19th century.

Putti with goat A adj.jpg

9. Barn Owl

My pictures are really poor, sorry. I'll send better ones tomorrow. It looks nicer than it appears in the photos.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'd go back for the bracelets and leave the rest.

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but that wide bangle looks like it could be badly tarnished silver, give it a polish and see how it looks :)

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I believe Barn has already purchased these, and is wondering he they should go back and buy more.

I think the advice to buy any sterling is probably good, if it is not priced too high.

13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

The little 6-pointed rhinestone star pin/pendant looks like it might have a saphiret in the center. The color looks kind of like a muddy-pinkish-red color, and the 6th photo shows a blue reflection on one of the facets, which is typical of saphiret glass. But I can also see blue reflections on the rhinestones, so maybe it's just the lighting. Saphiret jewelry can be quite pricey. It was made from the late-1800s to mid-1900s mainly in Bohemia/Czechoslovakia and Germany by adding molten gold to sapphire-colored glass. The more pink/red the stone, the more gold in the glass.

14. Barn Owl

Spent 200$ on more jewelry why do I do this to myself? More photos and responses to come

15. Barn Owl

It's marked GF Sterling by Dunn Brothers

16. komokwa

u no the photo's we're lookin for.......bring it on !!!!!:happy::happy::happy::woot::woot:

17. Barn Owl

I bought like 100 pieces. This is going to take a while. ;)

Christmasjoy, judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  18. komokwa

we're in no rush....................................................you have all afternoon !!!
    Bawhaahahaha!!!!!!!!!! :hilarious::hilarious:

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

YEA!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the new pieces you bought :shame:

20. Barn Owl

Sorry, you also have to see my ugly bed. More photos to come- I need to adjust their sizes. Just let me know if you want to see anything closer. 20171202_153623.jpg 20171202_154457.jpg 20171202_154504.jpg 20171202_155110.jpg 20171202_154521(1).jpg

Christmasjoy, Houseful, judy and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted