Aladdin lamp electrified, leave or revert?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Nov 11, 2019.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I bought this lamp. Aladdin Washington Drape.
    at my local thrift for $5.50. I was thinking to either leave as is and
    find a shade for it or revert it back to oil. I think it's probably worth the same either way. The electrical transformation looks very well done. I think it was one of those kits. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Mikey
    atree 22163.jpg
    atree 22164.jpg
    atree 22165.jpg
    atree 22166.jpg
    atree 22167.jpg

scoutshouse and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If it were mine, I'd put a shade on it and enjoy.

Debora

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... I usually like to keep things traditional but apparently these lamps were mass produced and not of any great design import. This is a shade solution that gives it a bit more personality. Both a chimney and a shade and the shade is print. Of course, the goldtone a bit richer than silver but a good fabric choice could compensate for that as well as give the lamp more visual interest and presence.

Debora

DSCN0089.jpg

NewEngland and Sandra like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This isn't exactly right in design and scale but... Perhaps something in a black, white, grey, and/or silver palette that repeats fan shape on base. (Depends on one's home decor, of course.)

Debora

images.jpg

Sandra likes this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

Nice lamp Debora.
    I'm going to keep it, at least for a while. Looks like the burner assembly is model b nickel plated like the shade holder. Not a problem finding one. I'll have to find a shade local. I won't pay more for shipping than an item cost.
    Thanks for all your input.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just being a busy body. Suggestions you didn't ask for. Enjoy your lamp.

Debora

8. 916Bulldogs123

I always appreciate you chiming in Debora. Never stop!

Debora likes this.
  9. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I am a hopeless purist. I have probably 20 Aladdin's of all descriptions and none are electrified. Two were, but I changed them back. That being said, if you don't already have the parts on hand, it can get more expensive than what you have in it or could get out of it, so I would leave it.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  10. William Seaby

William Seaby New Member

Easy to change back and forth. The electric "burner" screws off and an oil burner wick & mantle can be screwed in. You would need the complete burner and mantle, possibly a chimney and maybe a shade holder. We have 2 brass Aladdins in the bedroom and can switch them to oil in minutes if needed. Parts are available but can be pricey: burner (nickel plated) at $122, mantle $15, etc.

11. Iowa Jayhawk

If you don't mind Ebay or Etsy, you can get your burner for around $40. If it has the flame diverter you don't even need a mantle, which are about $15 anywhere you look. Chimney about $20. Gets pricey if you have to buy things quickly.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

We've always kept a couple of old Kerosene (now oil) lamps around for just those rare occasions, and used to have a matched pair of the Aladdin lamps (metal) until a nephew had a raucous party!! (and then there was one---lamp, that is!) Easy enough to switch, but you've had enough advice!!!!!

13. Iowa Jayhawk

Each Christmas Eve we turn off all the electrics and the whole house is lit with oil lamps, some Aladdin and some not. Makes for a very striking environment. I have 200+ lamps so my choices are endless.

14. Iowa Jayhawk

Small sample of the entire arsenel attatched. IMG_4932.JPG IMG_4933.JPG IMG_4965.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted