Featured Albert Neely Hall Vintage Dollhouse

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Slykitty65, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

I picked this dollhouse because its style reminded me of a Swiss Chalet, it's structurally sound and handmade. It was stored for many years, carpeted rooms had mouse droppings, spider webs and it was extremely dirty. I searched and found the house plan designer was architect and craftsman Albert Neely Hall (1883-1959) Chicago who married, moved to Elmhurst and wrote for magazines and newspapers. By 1911 he published many articles on woodcraft projects from toys, doll furniture, and even a Boy Scout Video. He and his brother Norman Hall founded "Craft Patterns" at his home studio then later at a storefront. After his death in 1959, the family carried on the company until it closed in 1986. The craft pattern dollhouses were changed periodically over the years.

Near as I can tell from other photos, mine is the No. 1185 Craft Pattern design which his description goes on to say it was designed to look like the Heide and Clara Swiss Chalet they lived in on the Mountain. But, there are differences in the structure from the pattern listing. Height listed is 29" mine is 28.5", Width is same at 29", but the inside depth listed is 8.25" and mine is 11.5". My house has no scrolled eaves, no decals provided with later patterns, no added roof supports or side angle support, the porch railing is missing, but it does have the acetate windows. Found another like it which was a two-story and mine is a three story. Can not find any date references. Several of the ones with decals and roof changes say they were from the 1960s.

I had to tear out the carpeting which was infested and made from dish clothes. I assume they may be added at a later date since the flooring under was painted or stained like the roof. Any idea of an appropriate age material to replace the flooring? There was no furniture, though I did find his book with patterns for making his doll furniture on Project Gutenberg.

Any ideas on which way I should go to keep it vintage? IMG_5173.JPG IMG_5174.JPG IMG_5175.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh how lovely ! They sell wood flooring at Hobby Lobby and places like Micheals,its very easy to install and looks infinitely better. There are also stair kits,wich would give it more realism. Ive been into dollhouses for a while now,its an addictive (and expensive) hobby. :)
    Ps...I also wanted to add that wallpapering is tedious and difficult,in retrospect I wish Id have just painted my walls!

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    I used to do with making things for friends doll houses. My favorite was using US postage stamps as wall art. I used to take fancy toothpicks and gold paint them and use them for frames for the stamps. My favorites were the Presidential stamps of 1938 to 1943 . They looked just like paintings of old ancestors.
    greg

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Greg, I've heard of gold toothpicks, but not for that use! Clever!!

Christmasjoy, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sorry, but I don't see anything Swiss.

Christmasjoy and Slykitty65 like this.
  6. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I have one that is almost identical I thought, from what I read, that it was from the 70's. I identified mine as the 1185 too

Christmasjoy, Slykitty65 and judy like this.
  7. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you johnnycb09, I made a doll kit 30 yrs ago and did lay the small wood flooring. It was pre-cut though and looked great when done. The wallpaper I used then was from wallpaper display books. Wasn't sure if I needed to keep it original or not since I have not refurbished one before.

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Love the idea about the stamps for pictures and tooth pic frames. I am an artist, but miniatures are not my thing. I have some great stamps from when my son collected and will ask him if they are ok to use.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

10. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

I did see the newspaper article where Hall was selling the plans through "Craft Patterns" over the years, no dates but the earliest price was .50, later one for .85 and now up to $5.00 for replica plans since they went out of business.

11. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

The name of the dollhouse pattern by Hall was listed as a Swiss Chalet No.1185. His description was of he made it to look like the one from the book/movie Heidi. The first likely made about 1937 when Shirley Temple did the Heidi movie since it would have been a popular doll item of the time for little girls. Have not found any dates, but different patterns with changes over the years I've seen.

judy likes this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think, because these were plans for dollhouses meant to be played with, anything you choose to do with the flooring is fine.

At the time? Home-builders were probably just painting the floor or using bits of fabric as carpeting. I think something like suede paper (found on amazon and etsy) would be lovely!

Slykitty65, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Jivvy

Oh fid, you know that Hollywood has taught us that if it has half-timbers and overhanging eaves, it's a Swiss Chalet! :woot::kiss:

Slykitty65, judy and Fid like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Unless its some period piece from 1820 with original everything,feel free to decorate any way you want.Have fun !

Slykitty65 and judy like this.
  15. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you Jivvy. Excellent idea about the suede paper, I had not thought of that and may have some leftover in my art supplies. I did pick up some basswood strips to fashion a hardwood floor for the living room area from Michael's yesterday.

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  16. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you, everyone, for all the wonderful suggestions. It should be a fun project to work on, I did so love making the first one years ago and was sad when l let it go. I know how addicting miniatures can be! I am glad to hear I don't have to try and keep it to any strict limits with decor.

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I once passed Hollywood on a bicycle tour from Dublin to Glendalough.:kiss:

Slykitty65 and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Refurbishing Update: Basswood flooring finished turned out nicely, repainted all the rooms and floors (issues with getting old glue off), couldn't find my velvet paper so will find alternate for bedroom floors, used a thick craft paper for the kitchen floor. My little key wind Alpine dolls are a bit big for the doorways :shame: but my little German Schutz-Marke Turtle dolls fit just fine! Will make the furniture their size. Still needs touch up on stubborn spots coming through paint and cleaning old paint drips off the acetate windows (water didn't work)... have started making the front balcony which looks pretty good so far. Thanks for following, it's been a fun project so far. Can't wait to paint the front and decorate the inside.:cat: IMG-5183-small.jpg IMG-5183-small.jpg

19. Jivvy

Coming along nicely!

20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

looks great Slykitty65:) hope you will keep us updated on the progress

i need help, Slykitty65 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted