Featured All sorts of Beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

6A684227-5C7A-41F3-8303-DF7B60E58C16.jpeg This necklace has so many different stones, glass, silver, carved peach pips, beads in it that I’m wondering if there is any meaning to all of them on the same necklace. I’m guessing Japanese from the silver beads with the birds and the carved peach pits and the cloisonné. It’s 42inches long, I’ve identified some of them I think, chrysoprase, amber, amethyst, turquoise, maybe opal. Any thoughts anyone please regarding age and any beads I’ve missed. Thankyou.
    ~ 7B8CDA27-FF7A-45E6-A1AF-22C888A09212.jpeg 1A7B5B94-E2AD-4358-A1C5-90B94185806D.jpeg 99B24EA5-9E19-4E4F-9FF2-DB4035781E74.jpeg 1A7B5B94-E2AD-4358-A1C5-90B94185806D.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some of the green ones look like green aventurine quartz. I don't detect any deep meaning in the combination.

i need help, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Wow....that's such a combo....how can ya date that??

Bronwen, i need help and Houseful like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It has to be older. The clasp has me thinking 1930s, and so does the enamel work. I'm seeing the aventurine, amethyst, agates, probably amber.....

5. Houseful

The maker certainly had a nice array to choose from. Thanks for the adventurine Bronwen and Evelyb, I’m sure you are correct. I thought it was strange that there was only one faceted bead, I haven’t ever had one like this before. Its a pity the cloisonnés are damaged.

i need help and kyratango like this.
  6. evelyb30

No surprise if they're as old as I think they are. And the metal looks like silver; that necklace wasn't cheap when it was new.

kyratango, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Houseful

Fortunately it was cheap for me, £2 with a few other bits and beads from Saturdays Jumble. People (including me) rummaged through the jewellery biscuit tin, moved off quickly as not seeing any silver or gold and only going back later I saw the finer details with other items I wasn’t sure about. I shall be bothering you all with these too. Thanks in anticipation.

8. evelyb30

Thanks in drooling; I love seeing what turns up in British jumble sales.

9. Houseful

Same here, looking at your Church, Estate and Yard Sales!

kyratango, Bronwen and judy like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You still have jumble sales? Oh, I wish.....!

11. evelyb30

I'll be headed to one Saturday morning; I'm hoping for goodies. They have become fewer and further between as of late. A lot of the older denominations also have/had older congregations. Two synagogues closed down, and there went their sales. (those were the best)

Bronwen and judy like this.
  12. Houseful

Not as many now as in the 1980s but usually there’s one or two to go to on a Saturday. When going in the 80s I was looking for curtains, pots and pans, dishes etc and missed all the treasure! After I furnished my house I didn’t really go, it’s only in the last 5 years I’ve started going again and I so enjoy it.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I envy your boot sales. In car obsessed America, why haven't we ever adopted them?

On the necklace, I do not think it was commercially made. Selection of beads/stones may have had meaning for person who made it, or it may just be an assemblage of beads found interesting/pretty. The enameled beads are not cloissonné, but if each is different, they would have been hand painted. Although I do think it has some age on it, have to be careful about dating the whole necklace to age of oldest beads, since bead stores may sell vintage/antique beads, people may reuse beads from an older piece.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted